DIY Sump and Flow questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have it mocked up with 45s.. I still keep forgetting to get some sort of clamp to mount the pipes.. need to finish gluing them and get it assembled

I also have my arduino working.. on power on nothing runs.. I am required to press a start button to get the pump working.. That might not be a smart thing if it is a power outage while I am gone, but I can remove that if i need to. I can also shut it off with the same button. I might tweak the code to allow it to start on a power loss, it will however shut off if the Display flow switch is not closed (potential overflow)

Some pipes glued.. some just mocked up...
IMG_20150127_162952535.jpg

IMG_20150127_162925667.jpg

IMG_20150127_164630615.jpg

IMG_20150127_164625869.jpg

If the Eshopps skimmer is using the Sicce PSK200 pump, that pump is submersible. Simply drop it into the sump :)

That's what I plan on doing.

OI will have to check, it is a HOB Skimmer..

I bought before I decided to do a sump and I found I could not cancel or return it..

besides is fits nice the way it is

The fit isn't the problem. The pump may have to work harder to pull the water up the intake if it isn't high in the sump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fit isn't the problem. The pump may have to work harder to pull the water up the intake if it isn't high in the sump.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guess I don't completely understand why.. it is hanging on the side, just as it would in the display tank.. Once I get all the tubing done and mounted I will be closer to finding out how well it works

going to be a couple more weeks..

When it's on the back of a tank, the water level in the tank is up pretty high (and thus high in the intake tube), and the pump only needs to work a little to get the water up and over.

In a sump, the water level is much lower in the sump (and in the intake), and the pump has to work much harder to bring the water up and over.

When it's on the back of a tank, the water level in the tank is up pretty high (and thus high in the intake tube), and the pump only needs to work a little to get the water up and over.

In a sump, the water level is much lower in the sump (and in the intake), and the pump has to work much harder to bring the water up and over.

Right. but where I am sticking the Skimmer the divider is pretty high and the next section will be lower.. so the section the skimmer is in will have a water height as if it were in the display tank

Just my 2 cents but..... I have a similar HOB skimmer as you have. I noticed that the foam for the return is pretty high above the divider. This should really be under water. You may or may not be able to use it. I'm not sure if you can extend it or not and still have it work properly.

Do you know how high the water level would be in the sump when the tank is working normally? What I did was fill the tank until it started filling the sump and then filled most of the sump with all the pumps off. Then I filled the sump to a maximum level about 1 inch below the top. I used a marker to mark my maximum level, then I turned on the pumps and adjusted the flow until I was satisfied with it. The water level near the pump will have dropped but hopefully not so far as to start sucking air. (If it does, decrease the flow until the water is well above the pump inlet.) Mark that water level as a max fill line for when you top off the tank to replace water that has evaporated. What this will do is make sure you have enough room in the sump to hold the water from the tank in case you have a power outage or a pump failure.

Additionally, I would find a way to catch the skimmate and not let it go back into the sump if you can use that skimmer. (You may have already thought of that but I figured I would mention it.)

thanks for the skimmer tip.. dunno what the water level will be,,

I can however, put the skimmer on the back of the tank too.. that might be the best spot for it to work correctly..

I wish I could extend the output tube of that skimmer.

When I bought it the initial plan was to hang it on the tank and use a canister filter.. but maybe I should hang this on the back since the return would then be in the water

You can always hang it on the back of the tank. It looks like you are trying to keep your tank cleaner though. If you can hang it in the sump and make it work I think I would prefer that, but you may not be able to. Keep an open mind and good luck. The build looks really good.

You can always hang it on the back of the tank. It looks like you are trying to keep your tank cleaner though. If you can hang it in the sump and make it work I think I would prefer that, but you may not be able to. Keep an open mind and good luck. The build looks really good.

Yep you are right..

It is going much slower than I thought it would.. LOL

Need to paint my PVC next..

I just had a 'duh' moment. The motor for the skimmer is capable of being submerged. Would it be feasable to hang it on one of the dividers inside the sump tank? You might have to add or change one of the baffles, but that could work unless you plan a cover over over the sump.

I would like to cover the sump..

Progress is been really SLOW on this for me.. I will be gone the 1st part of June so I am not rushing to get water in it yet.. Plus I need to finish the Arduino code..

Well I have water in the tank now FINALLY.. Wanted to wait until after my vacation just in case

I also added a second overflow, smaller diameter and the inlet is sitting high in the tank. after several iterations with one design, I rebuilt it secondary one last night and it is whisper quiet.. The return pump is running on an arduino uno. I need to added a float switch to save the pump from running dry, but so far I am making progress

I may not be able to answer that one since I have a different type.

Try here:

Perfect.. @ 250-400 I can use one Overflow tube of 1" PVC.. I can build a secondary of 3/4" for emergency if needed then

So how would you segment the Sump??

I have the Rio 10. It is quiet as long as I don't let it touch the sides of the sump. I like the shock absorber feet that come with it. I have mine suspended with zip ties. Very quiet that way.

Yes it is a Rio Pump..

I have to ask is yours quiet? I am still a long ways from water and such in my tank

I got my glass yesterday and after seeing more sump designs than I can remember I will have the bubble trap on the side by the inlet.. then a short wall by the return pump

I also have a couple float switches along with a 'ping sensor' I plan on using an Arduino Uno for some of the control. I am thinking ATO, but starting simple and working my way there.

I tested my Overflow which works well and I need to build a second one that is improved (or hoped to be improved) I am surprised my wife is not complaining about the PVC pipe in the family room next to the tank.. LOL

With my set-up now it is very quite.. I need to add the Ultrasonic sensor for pump off with too little water in the sump. I also have the ATO built in to the arduino code as well for my pump controller..

I got my Dry Live rock from BRS (Reef Safe stuff) once the epoxy hardens I will set it in the tank..

Coming along slowly

I have the Rio 10. It is quiet as long as I don't let it touch the sides of the sump. I like the shock absorber feet that come with it. I have mine suspended with zip ties. Very quiet that way.

Oops. It's a Rio HF-12 pump.

Back
Top Bottom