Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
DIY Sump and Flow questions

SO I am in process of setting up a 50 Gal Salt Tank. I was going to use a canister but was able to buy a 20 Gal (High) tank for $20 from Petco

Note: I cannot use the 20 gal long, it will not fit under my 50gal (30x18x21)

Anyway, so I have so ideas for the sump set up but I need help with Flow..

How much flow do I need? I still need a return pump and I was thinking of a DIY Overflow using PVC Pipe.. I have seen some designs for that but wanted to post to get everyones opinion.. on what I need to set this up
__________________

__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
So I will add two 1" PVC Overflows (tank is not drilled) and then another 1" PVC return with a ~500 gph pump. I have a 20H gal tank for the sump, I am thinking the following:

first section Inlet from DT, maybe with protein skimmer?

Should the bubble wall be just before the return pump? or can I do a bubble wall then an open section for extra water then a short wall before the return pump. Will this work?

What about safeties, a float for Display overflow to stop the pump? what about in the sump? some sort of safety to keep it from overflowing other tan checking for the max line which I have read about..

How would I implement an ATO? I am thinking a simple Sketch for an arduino can work for the basic and then i can add for temp etc if i so desire

THOUGHTS?
__________________

__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
SO I am in process of setting up a 50 Gal Salt Tank. I was going to use a canister but was able to buy a 20 Gal (High) tank for $20 from Petco

Note: I cannot use the 20 gal long, it will not fit under my 50gal (30x18x21)

Anyway, so I have so ideas for the sump set up but I need help with Flow..

How much flow do I need? I still need a return pump and I was thinking of a DIY Overflow using PVC Pipe.. I have seen some designs for that but wanted to post to get everyones opinion.. on what I need to set this up
You can use a storage tub for your sump, if it will fit.
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by seove View Post
You can use a storage tub for your sump, if it will fit.
I have a 20gal High.. fits nicely
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
I have a 20gal High.. fits nicely
Ooops. I didn't see where you wrote that you found a 20H.

I would go with a flow rate of 250-400 gph.
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Perfect.. @ 250-400 I can use one Overflow tube of 1" PVC.. I can build a secondary of 3/4" for emergency if needed then

So how would you segment the Sump??
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
OK was at my LFS store today and picked up my skimmer and a Return pump.. Now before I post pictures. 2 weeks ago I bought a HOB Eshopps skimmer from the LFS (They only sell Saltwater stuff), reason for that was I was going to start by using my canister.

Then last weekend we stopped in again and the one guy said that I should upgrade to a sump when I can, then I bought a 20G tank for the sump. I cannot return the HOB Skimmer, it was special order and they have posted, no returns on special orders.. so not a big deal, I will the HOB skimmer on the sump as seen below.

In the pictures I have Dry erase marks on the tank for dividers.. I was doing the bubble trap right after the inlet/skimmer but the guy at the LFS suggested the same on the return pump side. I need one divider on the return side I think for a minimum water depth for the pump..

So where should I have the bubble traps and dividers? Looking for some input on that



My DIY Overflow (Mock up, no strainer yet):


__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,698


Here's my fuge/sump section. It's a little unconventional but the tests seemed ok! (Eventually! I made the fuge with a leak! But I fixed it)
It's an overhead fuge with a side sump.
(Project ongoing!)

The baffles will determine water height so check what the skimmer needs!
The final baffles before the return is what forces the bubbles to the surface so they don't get drawn into the pump.

Hope this is of some use?
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Is that a Rio pump? I have a Rio and like it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
OK was at my LFS store today and picked up my skimmer and a Return pump.. Now before I post pictures. 2 weeks ago I bought a HOB Eshopps skimmer from the LFS (They only sell Saltwater stuff), reason for that was I was going to start by using my canister.

Then last weekend we stopped in again and the one guy said that I should upgrade to a sump when I can, then I bought a 20G tank for the sump. I cannot return the HOB Skimmer, it was special order and they have posted, no returns on special orders.. so not a big deal, I will the HOB skimmer on the sump as seen below.

In the pictures I have Dry erase marks on the tank for dividers.. I was doing the bubble trap right after the inlet/skimmer but the guy at the LFS suggested the same on the return pump side. I need one divider on the return side I think for a minimum water depth for the pump..

So where should I have the bubble traps and dividers? Looking for some input on that



My DIY Overflow (Mock up, no strainer yet):


seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Yes it is a Rio Pump..

I have to ask is yours quiet? I am still a long ways from water and such in my tank

I got my glass yesterday and after seeing more sump designs than I can remember I will have the bubble trap on the side by the inlet.. then a short wall by the return pump

I also have a couple float switches along with a 'ping sensor' I plan on using an Arduino Uno for some of the control. I am thinking ATO, but starting simple and working my way there.

I tested my Overflow which works well and I need to build a second one that is improved (or hoped to be improved) I am surprised my wife is not complaining about the PVC pipe in the family room next to the tank.. LOL
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Sounds like an interesting project.

Yes, my Rio is quiet, except when the tubing touches the edge of the sump. I have a piece of foam insulation around the tube where it touches. The pump is suspended mid level. If you have it place on the bottom it has nice rubber feet to keep it quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes it is a Rio Pump..

I have to ask is yours quiet? I am still a long ways from water and such in my tank

I got my glass yesterday and after seeing more sump designs than I can remember I will have the bubble trap on the side by the inlet.. then a short wall by the return pump

I also have a couple float switches along with a 'ping sensor' I plan on using an Arduino Uno for some of the control. I am thinking ATO, but starting simple and working my way there.

I tested my Overflow which works well and I need to build a second one that is improved (or hoped to be improved) I am surprised my wife is not complaining about the PVC pipe in the family room next to the tank.. LOL
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Awesome..

Quick question how did you set-up your return? Meaning I am using PVC pipe for it.. how did you attach it to the pump?
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Jeff,

I use a nylon tubing return even though I have a PVC drain. The PVC is noisier but looks neater. The one downside of the Rio pump is that the hardware (fittings) that comes with it is of odd dimensions. I took the parts to Home Depot and could not find a perfect fit. I had to use a makeshift alternative and sealant. It's not perfect but it doesn't leak. Photo attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150125190209815(2).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	262302
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Thanks for the response.. What is the worm clamp attached to?

There are a few adapters that it over the outlet and have 3/4" NPT threads for PVC.. just wondering if using the nylon hose will keep the noise down.

Is your tank drilled? I am using a PVC Overflow.. I built 1, then a second with a better set up for initial start. I am getting closer to actually getting water.

I still need to finish the Arduino code for the Float in the display tank. I need to figure out the set-up for the sump. I am also thinking of using a Ultrasonic sensor for level control too..

One step at a time
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Oh! Thanks for asking. It's hard to see and I almost forgot about it but that is part of the makeshift aspect that I mentioned earlier. That clamp is on a smaller diameter piece of nylon tubing. Because of the odd OD/ID of the hardware that the Rio pump came with, I had to improvise.

I think the hose is quieter than the PVC, however I'm not noticing much noise because I'm using a DIY standpipe in my overflow box outlet. I'm also planning to use some pipe insulation in the near future.

I would love to make some DIY overflows but the overflow box is working ok for now.


QUOTE=-=Jeff=-;3144239]Thanks for the response.. What is the worm clamp attached to?

There are a few adapters that it over the outlet and have 3/4" NPT threads for PVC.. just wondering if using the nylon hose will keep the noise down.

Is your tank drilled? I am using a PVC Overflow.. I built 1, then a second with a better set up for initial start. I am getting closer to actually getting water.

I still need to finish the Arduino code for the Float in the display tank. I need to figure out the set-up for the sump. I am also thinking of using a Ultrasonic sensor for level control too..

One step at a time[/QUOTE]
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
How many drains do you have coming from the tank?

I have a 1" PVC I am using.. I will set up a 3/4 as a back up..

I am using 3/4" for the return. I just need to get something for mounting the PVC to hold it in place.

I am also not quite sure my dividers are correct, but I think they should work
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
The drain I have has one 1" PVC. It's on a 55gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
How many drains do you have coming from the tank?

I have a 1" PVC I am using.. I will set up a 3/4 as a back up..

I am using 3/4" for the return. I just need to get something for mounting the PVC to hold it in place.

I am also not quite sure my dividers are correct, but I think they should work
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Progress:




I have the T to control flow.. if I have too much I can relive some back into the sump..

Still need mounting brackets for some if the PVC and I still need to glue some together..

Coming together slowly
__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
seove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 113
Jeff,

If I had to do it over again or make modifications to my PVC drain, I would have used two 45 degree angles instead of 90 degree angles. I think that would be slightly quieter.
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 311
Space is tight, but I might be able to configure for 45s.. which I would prefer too
__________________

__________________
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy, diy sump, flow, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over flow & sump questions Nick862 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 11 11-14-2014 05:11 PM
sump with over flow questions crb530 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 02-19-2010 01:37 AM
DIY Sump flow control question Ksnell DIY Projects 2 07-19-2006 11:48 AM
Single strong flow PH vs. Two with less flow tdthrows Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 05-27-2006 02:31 PM
Flow Flow Flow davebailey46 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 01-18-2006 10:36 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.