DIY Sump from a 10gal. w/Reef Devil Skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question I have a 55gal reef and would like to change the overhang skimmer with a reef devil that I just purchased. I am looking to put the reef devil in my sump but my sump is too small so I decided to try to configure my 10gal. that is just laying around for my purpose and wanted to know where I should place the dividers in the sump? Also since the skimmer will be put into the sump would I still need to use Bio balls? Thanks

I would take the bio balls out of your tank all together. I would just place the skimmer along with some LR into the sump. The bio balls start producing nitrates after a while.

You don't necesarily have to have dividers in the sump. I have used sumps before that were just an open container. Only real issue to worry about is the bubbles that will be created by the skimmer and drain. This can be handled in many different ways.

In my basement sump, I have a pile of LR that sits around the drain tube that kills all the bubbles from the 12ft drop of the drain line. My first sump was a 20H and I used a small plastic container to create a wall between the skimmer and the return pump.

I would remove the bioballs as well. If you have enough LR and you are not relying on the bioballs for filtration, then just remove them. If they are your main filtration, then you will need to remove them a little at a time. How much LR do you have?

I don't see a problem with that. Bigger would be better but it will work fine. Something to catch the bubbles will be needed though. Can be very low tech :)

I don't understand what to use to catch the bubbles? The protein skimmer catches all the foam. I assume bubbles will come out of the sponge when it goes through my skimmer so the water will be clean but what do I need to do/use with these bubles? Do I need a divider??

Some sort of Air Baffles is what I think it's meant. Simple to do with larger sumps but a little more creative on really small tanks. On my 10 gal sump I've got the overflow directly into a pile of big rocks. The whole thing is to try to remove any air bubbles coming from your overflow. Several ways to do this. Some folks use a bunch of rocks (common) and others use dividers (harder to do) and then finally some sort of filter floss is always an option.

The drain line will create bubbles and the skimmer output will most likely create bubbles. You need something before the return pump to dissipate these bubbles. Some people use acrylic baffles. You can use a pile of rock or anything that will act as a divider. I wedged a plastic container on my first sump. You could use a piece of acrylic and drill small holes in it to let the water pass through. Some people create walls to let the water pass over.

There are many ways to accomplish this. With a small sump it gets a bit trickier. Normally you want the return pump on the opposite side of of the sump from the bubble makers.

Back
Top Bottom