DIY syphon/sludge remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone created their own syphon / sludge remover? I need a tool to remove detritus from my tank.

I use a piece of 3/4 OD (1/2 ID) clear vinly tubing and a piece of 1/2 cpvc pipe to remove stuff from the bottome of my tank...works well but takes sand with it which I don't mind all that much as I like to put a bit of sand be once in a while..I don't use this but once every month or so...tube is about 8' long and the CPVC is about 20" long. I stick the CPVC into the hose and go town.

I once made a vac from 1/2 clear pipe, "J" bend, air line, and pantyhose....

It worked on the concept of a sponge filter(air bubbles in the bottom of the tube would create enough current to pull debris up the pipe, and filter through the pantyhose)...

It worked fine for a short tank, like my old 10gal, but it's not strong enough for the 40 and 55 that I have now...

Someday, when I have an extra powerhead I'll make another, and try it out

redswi said:
I once made a vac from 1/2 clear pipe, "J" bend, air line, and pantyhose....

It worked on the concept of a sponge filter(air bubbles in the bottom of the tube would create enough current to pull debris up the pipe, and filter through the pantyhose)...

It worked fine for a short tank, like my old 10gal, but it's not strong enough for the 40 and 55 that I have now...

Someday, when I have an extra powerhead I'll make another, and try it out

I'm not picturing this. Do you have a picture of it or possibly a drawing?

vic said:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_python.php

Vic
The prices he list over there in that tutorial come to about $19, not including the price of the gravel vac. If you dont already own a gravel vac, you'll need to purchase one for $10 (for a cheap short one). That brings the total up to about $29. Save yourself the hassle of running to Walmart, Lowes and the LFS and the hassle of putting it all together by buying a 25' Python at PetSmart for $26 (use in-store price matching to save shipping) if one is nearby.

Just my opinion.

Ive tried battery powered vacs and i didnt care for the one i used, never tried ehiems though good to hear it works for you.

Derekkaine said:
Ive tried battery powered vacs and i didnt care for the one i used, never tried ehiems though good to hear it works for you.

I love it to death lol no more trying to be quick while siphoning water. The only drawback is it does take longer but I have since switched Ailey to sand and that helps a lot. Used to spend 40 mins on my 55 with pea gravel.

Back
Top Bottom