diy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cop1263

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
Considering building a large plywood tank for my wall. Have everything figured out for materiel. Does anyone know, do i have to use one piece of glass, or can i use two. the tank will be 3x3x10 feet. I plan to use 2x4's that will be placed verticaly on the front to stop any bowing that may occur. They will be tied into the frame work to make it completly solid. Insted of using a 10 foot piece of glass, can i use two 5 foot pieces and silicone them together.
Any help will be useful, thanks.

Hi & welcome to AA!

I have not build a plywood tank, but I have seen tanks with multiple windows. So basically, you would have a vertical frame member to tie the 2 pieces of glass together, giving you 2 separate glass windows in the front.

I wouldn't just silicone 2 - 5 foot pieces of glass on edge & use that as a single 10 foot pane. FAIK, no one had done it like that before. I wouldn't want to be a pioneer in new tank construction with that much water! <Older tank bottoms with 2 piece construction always reinforce the seam with a hefty piece of glass on top ... They must have a reason to not trust that to a simple side to side butt joint.>

you should consider using 4'x8' sheets of plywood and have your tank 8' long it would be easier on your budget.

you should consider using 4'x8' sheets of plywood and have your tank 8' long it would be easier on your budget.

Or have your tank 16' long. . . :devilish:

I wouldn't trust a flat silicone butt joint either. Make two windows with wood in between them.

Back
Top Bottom