DIY Tank Scrubber for a quick fix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can this be done with just a dish sponge and some type of stick like thing to attach it to? I didn't get one today at the store (got a bubble curtain instead) and now I need to tear down and clean the 25. Wondering if I can just use a makeshift one until I get another one

My tank just got set up yesterday. The filter was bubbling like there was soap in it so I am scrubbing everything down. I have to tear it apart from top to bottom again.

Why are you tearing down the 25g? If the glass is dirty, a razor blade does wonders.

The bubbles may be due to the ammonia.

Why are you tearing down the 25g? If the glass is dirty, a razor blade does wonders.

The bubbles may be due to the ammonia.

I really hope that is what they are from, but I didn't add any before I saw them. I don't have any algae or anything yet the tank has only been up for a day. Thanks Jim :)

Need to SCRUB everything really good. I dont know why everyone thinks I am being lazy :silly: about this I just want to make something with a handle. I intend to scrub everything down already.

I read your other thread and I see why you want to do this. I'd do it too. Better safe than sorry and all you're losing is one day. I think I'd drain the tank, scrub everything a bit, and rinse everything with the garden hose really well. The rinsing is far more important than the scrubbing at this point.

Just be careful what sponges you use. Some sponges come with soap in them already. This would put you back into the same situation as you are in now.

I am starting to wonder if maybe that is why I am in this situation, I contacted the person who sold this to me and she said she didn't use any soap. I used a regular green and yellow dish sponge to clean everything in the first place, didn't seem to have any soap in it but it is possible. Everything is soaking in the vinegar now and I will be cleaning it tonight when my little man goes to bed. Going to be a PITA to get all the water out, but at least I only lost a day.

I already have my DIY scrubber, and it works great!

here are some pics:

Just cut a piece of spunge, and wrap it around the fish catcher, and thight it with a needle and fish thread or something. ;)

dsc04340.jpg

dsc04342n.jpg

I know what you mean by the soap looking bubbles coming out of your airstone and i think thats why they say you should soak it for an hour before putting it in the tank and running it, but i dont think its anything to worry about as i did the same thing when i first started and all i did was a water change, no biggie

for scrubbing, I use a green plastic pot scrubbie from teh dollar store 6 to a pack. I also cut them and use them as prefilters and to hold Phosban in the filter. good things they are.

Be careful using dish sponges in the tank. Check the packaging for a warning. Lots of them are treated to keep them moist in the package, and whatever it is that they use shouldn't be introduced to your tank. i know the yellow sponges with the green scrubby part that I buy (I can't remember the brand) shouldn't be used in the tank, and they always feel damp when I take them out.

Back
Top Bottom