DIY TEC tank cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to get my 29g tank temp down from the low/mid 80's with the light off into the mid 70's. I'm thinking of using a TEC chip to cool the water in a HOB filter, but am trying to determine the best way. I can get all the electrical buss bar I want, and that would give me plenty of mass and surface on the "evaporator" (cold) side. Should I cut a hole in the back of my HOB and seal with the buss bar? How well will the TEC pull heat through the plastic wall of the filter? (Probably won't work) ...or should I do something different? Topless with big airflow so far won't get this tank below 80 overnight with the light off.

Since I'm not finding any consistency on what metals are good for freshwater, I am using my hospital tank as a "dirty water" tank to try to degrade a sample of aluminum heatsink material before I begin my build.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

There is a ready made thermoelectric cooler but I forget the name. It is limited on how much water it can cool, and now many degrees it can cool it.

Seems like the models I saw were $200-$400. If I can drop 30g of water 5 degrees F with two spare TEC chips I have laying about, that would put me where I want since my room is so warm.

Back
Top Bottom