DIY to change HOB flow direction.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASF07003

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a fluval 30 hob and was wondering if there was a way to change its current from waterfall to a more horizontal flow, in hopes of not having to invest in an external canister, power head, nor bubblers for surface movement. I previously tried bubblers for more surface agitation, but I've become bored of them; I also tried reducing the flow on my fluval but that did not satisfy me; I even tried cutting up the plastic piece of a versa-top, but found it to splash bit much for my tastes. I also wanted something that I could easily remove and and would stay in place without the need for glues. My inspiration came from (of all places) a visit to a waterpark with my kids. I am currently cycling a 29 gal tank, soon to be planted and stocked with guppies, amano shrimps and danios (otos after a few months)

In Home Depot, PVC aisle, I found a 2 ft piece of clear vinyl tubing, OD 1 7/8 in, ID 1.5 in
Using my heaviest and sharpest knife (for me a 12 inch chef knife), I cut a 8.5 inch piece of tubing. Then I filleted the tubing open so that it becomes a 8.5 by ~5.75 inch rectangle.

Since the goal was not to use any glue nor compromise the integrity of my HOB, I decided that using the intake tube of my fluval would work best as an anchor while the remaining length would course under the outflow of the fluval plus an additional 1.5 inches, causing the flow change from a vertical waterfall-like effect, to a gentler horizontal flow.
At about 2.5 inch from the edge, I drilled a hole using a 5/8 inch bit. Then I drilled 2 half holes on either side using a 1/4 inch bit. This ensures a snug fit without interfering with the placement of the intake nor the mechanics of the HOB.

Quite a success!!
I put it on my tank, and the curve of the tubing is wide enough to not impede the flow of water. The back portion fits snug between the the outflow and the edge of the tank. I've let it run today to make sure water isn't spilling around. I like the effect I'm getting on the surface; can't wait to see the shimmer when I add lighting! Pic belowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395868233.422814.jpg

Any comments or questions, feel free. Thanks

Pretty much. I tried a water bottle first but found it too flimsy and after a while would slip off. This is definitely holding up better.

Back
Top Bottom