DIY tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So... in my adventure in the fish world ive created and found alot of tools esp when needing something for my smaller tanks. This leads to lots of invention. This thread will have some of my invented tools. Feel free to add any uve made, or ask any questions.

ForumRunner_20120923_184100.jpg
The syphon i use to spot clean my shrimp tank and to vac the gup tank... when using it for shrimp i put the end the water comes out of in another container so i can make sure not to flush any babies... its just air hose, a chopstick, and twist ties.

ForumRunner_20120923_184113.jpg
Fry saver prototype... it was 2 big for what i needed it for. 4 plastic combs with the corners melted together, and fishing line wrapped around.

ForumRunner_20120923_184122.jpg
This tool has many uses. From capturing tiny fry and shrimplets to dosing with meds of feeding micro foods for babies... infant medicine syringe and a short length of air hose. I have mine marked in 1.25 ml increments for dosing conditioner in my 40b. The hose easily comes off.

ForumRunner_20120923_184137.jpg
Fry trap final design. This size is good for gups, but you can make other sizes... this one is the top of a 2liter bottle, i poked holes with a tack about 2 inches down(depth depends on parent size) and threaded fishing line through the holes... u could also use a similar rig to size/sort babies. If there is a fry tank already u can leave the cap off and babies will drop into the tank below momma, and if not keep the cap on to safely collect babies in a community tank... i also put small holes in the upper chanber to allow water circulation, and holes close to the top with fishing line tied into them to adjust the water level.

ForumRunner_20120923_184148.jpg

Another view of fry catcher

Good luck inventing!!!

i made the small phyton on the chop stick and omg its the best thing iv got to use to clean my tank works great and you can use it to free up floating plants that have pulled down love 10/10

Thanx for the input and... Yes i def agree!!! And if you have appropriately sized tubing you can use it to transfer baby fish/inverts. Great for spot cleaning salt water tanks to..

I know its not very nice to look at, but seeing as its going in a food breeding tank it doesnt have to be. But here is my shrimp breeder/saver. I made it so they could enjoy all the comforts of the 20g with the protection of having their own tank...

ForumRunner_20121018_012146.jpg
View of the holes i cut for circulation.

ForumRunner_20121018_012158.jpg
I started with a .5g acrylic tank and 97 cent net... cut holes(with the help of a lighter) and took apart, then cut up the net to cover the holes and siliconed the netting in place

ForumRunner_20121018_012210.jpg

My DIY tank cover. Pretty self explanatory, and allows me to use any size light.

Back
Top Bottom