Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
DIY way to keep small fish out of water changer

Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post
Last water change for my QT I sucked up a small harlequin rasbora. Luckily I was draining into a bucket since its just a few gallons at a time.

It got me thinking about how I do weekly water changes in my display. I usually just leave the hose draining out to the front yard while I clean up my plants.

I was planning on cutting up an old net and rubber banding it around the end of the siphon to keep smaller fish out. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but I was wondering if any of you have done something else similar. Just looking for other ideas if I missed something even simpler lol.

Thanks!
If your only changing h2o, no problem, but if you're wanting to clean out debris, then your method may not work so well. Maybe there's a plastic piece with narrow slots that will keep your fish safe, but allow you to vacuum more efficiently. I'm pretty new here so, perhaps my thoughts are a touch askew. Seems like a simple engineering issue to me though. I've been having similar thoughts cause I've got some tiny barbs to consider when I clean my tank too.
__________________

__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Try the bucket at the end of hose. That way if anything goes in it will end up there. I lost 3 fishes the same way.
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually don't vacuum the substrate much since its a planted tank only whatever big things I see on the top.

I may try the bucket thing. I usually have the hose watering the plants outside so not sure how I'd get that setup.
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Whats you plant set up look like? If its a regular garden you can put the bucket and make a canal in the dirt. Help guide the water
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
I usually switch from flower beds to fruit trees ands sometimes the lawn. I'll try the canal thing thanks!

Lol I sucked up 3 more last night into my bucket. I'm beginning to think they're doing it on purpose to mess with me haha
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Maybe they watched finding nemo while you where out
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
First you were all like whoa
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Hey Steve, I wanted to let you know I just picked up a new syphon from petsmart. Not only does it come with a one way ball valve bulb in the middle it comes with a screen inside that large part that's put in the water. Here's a link it's tough to see in the picture, but I just bought this last night. It seems my idea is already in place and being sold, there goes another Million dollar idea, just a little to late...

biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart
__________________
I don't always build a reef, but when I do I take my time. Stay patient my friends.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
emerald76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,332
I had a guppy fry that I sucked up and I didn't realize it. Then the poor fry had to live in a bucket of dirty water for two days because I had no clue it was there. However, today that fry is the prettiest fish in my tank!
__________________
It's not a dumb question if you ask it.
Too many tanks? GASP! How could that be?
emerald76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Hey Steve, I wanted to let you know I just picked up a new syphon from petsmart. Not only does it come with a one way ball valve bulb in the middle it comes with a screen inside that large part that's put in the water. Here's a link it's tough to see in the picture, but I just bought this last night. It seems my idea is already in place and being sold, there goes another Million dollar idea, just a little to late...

biOrb and biUbe Cleaner Pump - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart
Haha bummer. Maybe your invention could be a larger one with a 50ft hose!

Although looking at it gave me an idea. I'm going to try an old water bottle cut in half with holes on the bottom. Then slide it over the siphon tube thing. If it doesn't work oh well just a plastic bottle lol
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
I had a guppy fry that I sucked up and I didn't realize it. Then the poor fry had to live in a bucket of dirty water for two days because I had no clue it was there. However, today that fry is the prettiest fish in my tank!
Maybe it was like a mud bath at a fancy day spa.
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Robb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 8
Try rubber banding a nylon stocking over suction end. I do this on my betta fry tanks. Works well. Or pantyhose.
__________________
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Try rubber banding a nylon stocking over suction end. I do this on my betta fry tanks. Works well. Or pantyhose.
That's a good idea. Does the flow get restricted at all?

I actually did a test run last weekend with a fish net rubber banded and worked pretty well. The holes were big enough for the poops to go through lol.
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Robb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersteve323 View Post

That's a good idea. Does the flow get restricted at all?

I actually did a test run last weekend with a fish net rubber banded and worked pretty well. The holes were big enough for the poops to go through lol.
It probably would if cleaning gravel, but if only doing wc you'd have good flow. You can also stretch the material tighter to increase flow.
__________________
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sobersteve323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 474
Sounds good ill give it a shot thanks!
__________________
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,626
With my aqueon water changer I rubber band a filter media bag around the siphon tube with about 2/3 of the length of the bag still inside the tube. I can safely clean my gravel and it wont suck up any of my baby ghost shrimp that I can never see. When I'm done siphoning I empty the filter bag into a bowl of water and check for any living critters.
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.