do-it-yourself tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
where can I buy a do-it-yourself tank?I would like to buy all the things I need for a 90 gallon and put it together myself.

Do you mean "build" your own tank? As in buy the acrylic, cut, polish, etc?

asaint

There are stickys that might help you in DIY forum.

You will save money for sure. I've started on a DIY tank, stand, and canopy. here's what I've come up with thus far:

Tank:
1/2" Cast Acrylic (don't use extruded or anything smaller than 1/2" for tanks higher than 14")
Dimensions are: 36" (L) x 18" (W) x 17" (H). Gives about 47 gallons.
Cost: Professionally laser cut = $108 (cheapest in town). If I wanted them to also assemble it, the total would have been $228 ($40/hour x 3 hours).

Assembling materials:
Acrylic bonder: $10
Silicone: Free (Already had some. Can't remember the price)
Duct Tape: $5
Plastic molding (like what comes on manufactured tanks): $22

Stand:
6 2"x4" "stud" boards: $23
1 1/2" Sanded Oak plywood: $35
1 2"6"x12' Cherry for trim: $20 (1/2 for the canopy as well)
4 "column" deco wood trims (to bridge the stand and canopy aesthetically): $10
1 box 3" wood screws: $5
Sandpaper or planer: Free (already had both)
Cabinet doors and hardware: $7

Canopy:
1 1/2" Snaded Oak plywood: $35
Piano hinge: $5 (clearance)
Knob/handle: $2.50

Stain:
$10 and counting (need more, plus some sealant)

So you see, I've spend roughly $275. I expect that the total cost will be roughly $300. Figure what this similar would cost retail: $185 for the tank, $70 for the canopy, and $300 for the stand for a total of over $500. It may be less, but the place I shop, this is the cost. I've saved $200+, but at the same time I've lost countless hours working on this. Every cut has to be precise. Every measurement needs to be correct, within 1/16". You will have very good results (my stand looks better than any retail I've seen, plus it will probably hold twice the weight) and a higher gratification upon completed, but PLEASE ensure that you don't take any shortcuts.

I haven't checked the links in the DIY section, but here's what I've used:
http://www.garf.org/stand.html
http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/BuildAnAquarium.html
For the canopy, I just looked at the retail ones at the store and made my own design.

I have the 3D (AutoCad, however you want it) renderings with all measurements if anybody wishes to have them.

Back
Top Bottom