Double check my plans por favor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im going to try my best and explain the pictures. I drew them out and took pictures =o)

If something is shaded it means it is behind something.
Front/back view-
img_196882_0_719815180a1bf57029d0fdd87991562c.jpg

The bottom frame consists of 2x4's. The corners and middle posts are 4x4's. I want my tank to sit inside the frame because the color won't match the tank. So at the top it is exactly like the top frame but instead of it lining up with the top of the 4x4 corner posts it is raised by 2in or so. Now, there are 2x4's directly under the top ones.. but ill explain that with the top view-
img_196882_1_7f5a578cdfde68a58a24a8fd77dd20c3.jpg

Okay, there are 2x4's under the top frame which will also support the tank. But they will most likely be supported on the sides of the 4x4's.. my pencil points them out-
img_196882_2_74817327f847df8981511574377a0bde.jpg
and
img_196882_3_070af339a33d1513bf0ecee2baace5e8.jpg
and two more on the other side.
Now those boards and the board in the middle will support 2x6 planks that go all the way across.

I did a lot of calculating and it all works out with the measurements and proportions n stuff.

I feel like im going over kill.. or not over killing enough. Does it look alright or are there major flaws? I will answer any questions about the plans. Keep in mind Im a 20 year old college student who has failed college algebra twice =o) Im mighty proud of myself coming up with these plans, im just worried about it being stable enough to hold a 75gal. Uhm... oh, everything will be jointed together with either angle brackets or screws/nails. But yah *twiddles thumbs*

Change all of the 4x4's to 2 - 2x4's in an L- shape. Get rid of your 2x6's and just run a 2x4 along the length of the tank. This will provide better support. the 2x6's will cause bending stress on the 2x4 below it, so you're better off using compressive loads. better yet, just use a piece of plywood as the surface that the tank sits on. here's a crude pic i just did in paint.

let me know if you have any more questions.

jim

haha thanks! thats so much easier than the one I was planning. I feel kinda stupid now but that took the idea I had and made it a lot more practical. Thanks for going to the trouble of drawing it out in paint.

One thought - From Yaks' pics, it seems the tank will be sitting on the 1/2" ply inside the 2x4 apron? This would mean the tank is supported only at the legs & not all the way along the edges - OK for a small tank, but not for a big one - although the 1/2" ply will distrubute the weight, for a large tank, that is a bit thin for my comfort level. I might go to 3/4" for something like a 55 gal tank. For bigger tanks, I would have rails running on top of the leg for strength.

Picture of what I mean:

Back
Top Bottom