Drill tank understanding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmallFishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am attempting to do my first drilled tank to a sump setup. I have been googling for several days now on people setups and everyone is so different and it makes it a little confusing to me. I made a diagram of what I think is going on in the setup. Is my setup wrong or am i missing something possibly?

I think I am a tad worried about if the pump fails what happens in the setup.

Feed back?

Attachments

• AQPlumb.jpg
    AQPlumb.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 89
It will essentially work, what you have drawn up. There is no need really for a cutoff valve on the drain, so long as the inlet is high enough up in the tank. If your pump fails, nothing will happen, except the drain will run until it can't get any more water. So long as you always leave room in the sump to handle whatever water drains when the pump is off, you will be fine. The inlet for the drain for that reason needs to be near the top of the tank. This is often done with a durso standpipe, and an acrylic overflow. You also want to make sure you have a small hole in our return pipe that is above the water so that if you do lose the pump, you don't siphon water back out of the tank through the outlet. A small hole above the waterline will break the siphon.

Also you want to make sure your return pump is sized such that the drain will always be faster than what the return pump can return.

So would it be best to use the 90 elbow on the return and knock a small hole downward toward the water since the water will come out of the small hole also? Or is there a good placement for the breather hole? Also would it be better to have 2 - inlet bulk heads and 1 return? Would 1 inch bulk heads for both be enough flow or should i have 2 outs and 1 in?

Yes you are right on with the hole placement.

How many drains you need and the sizes would be dependent upon the size of tank and your desired flow rate.

Back
Top Bottom