Drip system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this auto topper (SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off) SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off - Bulk Reef Supply a little while back to do just that, top off evaporation every day. Well, I started thinking, this thing could probably pull up 12 gallons a day if could drip drain somehow from somewhere else on the tank (I have no experience in these drip systems)? Right?

Well, I'm looking through gardening supplies and I see this device that allows 1/2 gallon an hour Amazon.com : Rain Bird SW05-10PK Landscape Dripline System 0.5 (1/2) GPH Emitters 10-Pack : Automatic Lawn Watering Equipment Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Well, basic math tells me this thing will pull 12 gallons a day. My question is, I don't really know how to power the draining device, or if I need to buy another pump (which I'd like to not buy as I'd like to drain from the show tank and fill from the sump below, thus I can hide a small 1/4" tube being gravity fed in the tank). I planned on buying 1/4 inch tubing from the garden supply people as well and doing a straight gravity siphon (no pump at all) from this tube straight down through my floor and into the basement. Is this possible to start a siphon on this and reliably have it drain using gravity alone?

Is this setup actually possible to do this way?

The SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off has worked well pulling water from my reservoir (In the basement) in the amount of probably 1 gallon each day in 15 minutes or so. I'm just hoping to have someone out there who might have run a drip system confirm my thoughts on this stuff I basically already have working or not. I mean I can assemble a drip water change system with stuff I have for about $20 if my thoughts are on track. Thanks for any thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom