Dry wall ceiling weight load...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone give me a second opinion to reassure my fiance. I have 2 anchor hooks in my ceiling each rated at 40lbs to hold my light hood which probably weighs like 20lbs if that. The drywall ceiling will support this much weight right? Thanks for any info.

well are you going to to just the drywall or in to the drywall and in to a floor beam? if you are going in to the florr beam too then ya you should be fine. if in to just drywall then i would not try it. lights in the water not a good thing.

personally id look for a stud as suggested and make sure i hit wood and not just drywall cuz it would really suk if da thing droped and u end up frying ure fish.
if ya really wanna hang it on just drywall id sugesst using some spring drywall anchors. they look kinda like this )----> cuz scews n nails tend to loosen in drywall over time

I agree with everything that has been said above. I would NOT simply screw those hooks into the drywall and hope for the best. You need a support beam to attach them to.

What I've used is an anchor designed specifically for use in ceilings. Attached is a pic...is this sturdy enough, or should I get out the stud finder and look for some other means of suspension. Thanks for the advice. Hmm.. won't take the pic

Here is what I've used...is this okay? Oh well, I give up. What I've used is a ceiling hanger that is what is commonly used for plants etc. It has a piece that sits above the ceiling at a right angle that acts as the anchor and a hook below..it holds up to 40 lbs. If anyone knows what I'm describing, let me know if this sounds okay or I guess I'll go looking for a ceiling joist.

i would just go for the ceiling joist i think they are about every 12" or so in the long run it would be a lot better then that anchor. I would not want to take the risk of loseing the lights and every thing in my tank just becasue of 2 anchors. but that might just be me.

The anchor can hold 40lbs, but the drywall might not be able to. Definately anchor to a solid piece of wood. It would be insane to risk something like this.

With my drywall experaince I would think that if you "drilled" the hole for the anchor instead of just pushing through you should be fine. Folks drywall is stronger than you would think. Think about this. those little ceiling boxes that have the little ears are rated at 50lbs. I think I know what kind of hook Jack is speaking of and I have a 40 lb chandeleer hanging from it. HTH

I think I know what kind of hook Jack is speaking of and I have a 40 lb chandeleer hanging from it. HTH

Your chandeleer isn't hanging from its electrical box which is attached to a wood beam? If not, you are more daring than I...

;)

Well I called it a planter hook, IT's a big brass hook with a toggle on the other side that spread out about 2 1/2 inches in both directions.

I agree with everyone... definitely go to the joist. I tried hanging a bathrobe hook from my sheetrock (not the joist) and one little tug ripped the rock. I would not do that again.

On the other hand, I have a 100 lb. punching bag hanging from my ceiling joist and the joist never budges even when I'm pounding the &$#@ out of the bag. :eek:

You may get away with hanging the hook straight from the drywall, but why chance it when you've got joists?

I tried hanging a bathrobe hook from my sheetrock (not the joist) and one little tug ripped the rock. I would not do that again.

But you were pulling across the opening, That's called "sheer force" on that I agree put it in the joist. In the ceiling the sheet rock is thicker, and you would be pulling down straight. As long as an anchoring system was used, toggle's or those things that spread out acrss the BACK of the sheetrock it should be fine. If "mollies" (anchors that just stick in the hole and spread against the hole wall) was used the no it will not hold.

I install alarm systems and after 15 years I can tell you sheet rock is stronger that most of us give credit for. I have slid between joists in a ceiling laying on the sheetrock and it never moved. on the other hand I have stood up and fell through. :roll: It's a matter of weight distrubution

After talking to a few people who know construction, I've confirmed what I already knew. Drywall ceilings will hold a vertical load of up to 50lbs with the proper anchoring device. If I wasn't living in a rental I would probably err on the side of safety and re-hang with different hooks into a joist but for now I will just keep my eye on what I have.

I agree, go for wood. I don't know if this is up to code, but I cut a 2x4 to fit between the rafters in my garage and hung a 50lb punching bag from it. It shakes the house like mad, but everything is holding well. You may be able to do something similar if you have some attic space to work with.

Oops, didn't see there was a second page. 50lbs huh? I hope it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom