Dyi filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Issombeituni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So thinking of trying this for my canister. When u goto the pet store these pads cost big money over a period of time. I went to the craft store and purchased 3 feet of each. Poly pads and poly foam.

Total cost of 12 bucks

Anyone use these for their filters?

Attachments

• image-3119619445.jpg
    image-3119619445.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-384463550.jpg
    image-384463550.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3100816717.jpg
    image-3100816717.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 165
I use something similar to the polyfill pad you have. I just buy it in a big bag (pillow stuffing). I've been using it for years in my filters. I still have the same bag from probably 5+ years ago.

I like the loose stuff because you can shove it in any type of filter without trimming. Also, I use it around my intakes when I have fry (prefilter). Just wrap some around the intake and put a rubberband on it.

I agree with you though, why pay ridiculous prices for the manufacturer's media?

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS idk how I could have missed this trick will have to try it :)

Works perfect

Attachments

• image-2813197512.jpg
    image-2813197512.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 139
I've been using the polyfil pads for a while, but haven't tried the foam. If its half as good as the aquaclear foam it's a great idea. Let us know how it holds .

Pads are working perfect quick question how do u guys recommend cleaning them ? The bleach way or just rise them. The bottom layer catches the sand that is lifted up so i removed the bottom pad and shifted the middle to the bottom and then added a new pad.

Dont bleach it! Just give it a rinse in removed tank water.

I also use the loose pollyfill in my last basket of my Fluval 306. Big bag is $3 @ hobby lobby and my water is crystal clear

Back
Top Bottom