Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DYI remote LED hood completed, no tools, under two hours, $96

So I decided to walk my entire local Lowe's store today. My goal was to build the best 48" hood I could under $100, with minimal tools and fitting all materials in my mid size car back to my house. I couldn't be more happy with the results. This was around $96 with tax. If you decide price is the main focus not time I'm sure ordering comparable strip LEDs online could save you another $15-20 under what I paid. Only negatives I see which could be corrected with tools are it's a little to deep at 6.5 inches and is about an inch longer that my 48" tank but considering the time and effort I couldn't be more pleased. Also all items can be deconstructed and used for their original purpose down the road if needed. I'll post a list of parts and instructions in the thread below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	294508

Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Awesome job

Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

DYI remote LED hood completed, no tools, under two hours, $96

Items to purchase:

1. Electrical tape
Name:   IMG_1296.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  26.3 KB
Name:   IMG_1295.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  31.5 KB
Name:   IMG_1294.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  38.3 KB

Once you get everything unboxed simply expand curtain rod tight in the middle of the lighting fixture( I centered mine on the black squares on each end). Use electrical tape to secure the power source end of the Led strip to one end of the curtain rod. Wrap the free end of the LED strip over and over working your way down the curtain rod. Once tight tape the end down at the opposite end of the rod with electrical tape. Plug in light strip and your ready to go. Hope you like it as much as I do.

Name:   IMG_1297.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:   IMG_1299.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  71.5 KB
Old 02-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That led strip is half the price on amazon. You can literally take your flourecnt hood and wrap the lighting tube with the leds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LX...s=rgb+led+ripe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
That led strip is half the price on amazon. You can literally take your flourecnt hood and wrap the lighting tube with the leds. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LX...s=rgb+led+ripe

Yeah I'm compulsive, I had seen the ones on Amazon. Just wanted to see how quick I could do a decent looking hood same day without waiting on shipping. You could definitely build one way cheaper with online orders and using tools and vinyl gutter/pvc etc. My wife had my truck today and it got me thinking for people without a table saw, truck, or a lot of time or experience with DYI this might be a decent option . It's also nice because when I eventually drop $250 or more on a pro lighting solution I can use the shop light, curtain rod, and LEDs for household improvements. As opposed to some of the adhesive LED's and cheaper materials that would not be reusable in a lot of cases.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Those you linked don't have as many options as the ones I used I don't think. Mine have a dual white with dimmer to mix with the red blue green and white colors but for $35 less I wouldn't mind testing the difference for sure, thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mean. The ones I linked I use and you can mix and match any number of colors. Theyre pretty nifty..

Old 02-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I mean. The ones I linked I use and you can mix and match any number of colors. Theyre pretty nifty..

Oh I'm sure and they might be the same IDK, I didn't mean to sound like they were bad. I was more curious if there is a difference and how much for the difference in price. It looks like from the remote maybe the one's I bought have an extra white light on the strip? Thus the two on off buttons? The bottom one is white only with 4 dimmer settings just for that light. Also I didn't have a fluorescent hood that came with my tank and stand combo but that's a good idea for people that do already have one, didn't think about uses the non used bulb. The fixture I used didn't come with bulbs but I guess if you wanted you could do that on both bulbs in this set up but might be over kill. Maybe I'll order from that link and mount both on bulbs in this fixture to do a comparison. Thanks for the ideas, I'm having a blast working with this tank.

Tags
dyi, hood, led, tool, tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com