Eclipse System 12 Mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeutonJon78

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone out there done any modifications to this type of tank?

I'm currently keeping soft, acidic water fishes and while they are OK in my tap, it's not really that soft or acidic (7.6 and medium hardness, like 120ppm).

So, I was thinking of using some peat filtration, but the activated carbon in the Eclipse filter would limit some of the benefit. So I was thinking of building my own filter and then wouldn't need to buy them from marineland anymore.

I was basically thinking of using those little gridworks of plastic (used for crossstitching I believe) and making little custom fit baskets for the filter holder. that way, I can add different media to the filter and change just what I want. To replace the mechanical filtration, I would use some of the spaces filled with filter floss. I would have the first one filled with peat to add that to the mix. I could then add activated carbon to one of the bins if I needed it.

Benefits: no need to buy custom filter cartridges, can change media types to fit situation, only need to discard first cube of filter floss and fill with fresh and then rotate to the back end of the series.

Cons: have to make the little boxes to fit the filter, might slow down the spead of the water since I would probably be seriously increasing the filtration potential.

Any comments or suggestions out there? Anyone do something similar?

So, I was thinking of using some peat filtration, but the activated carbon in the Eclipse filter would limit some of the benefit.

Unless your carbon is less then 7 days old, that should not have any affect on what your trying to do. Activated carbon only stays active for about 7 days anyways. And the only time that I will replace mine is if I'm trying to remove meds from my tank. Other then that, I will just swish my old filter cartridge in tank water to clean it out.

so I've been experimenting with my filter and it seems like it will filter the water a lot better than the current cartridge. And I'll also have a place to put additional media if I want. I'm going to use the foot portion of some pantyhose to hold the peat and carbon when I use it. I haven't switched over to it yet, as I'm working on various configurations and not pushing the water level too high.

I figured out the sizes and such and can provide info if anyone wants it.

Materials of final version(s)
Michael's Craft store: plastic craft grids for filter section dividers ($0.33 per sheet, need 1)
Petsmart - filter fiber pad ($2.99 and will last a while, $5 for small tub of carbon, $9 for medium sized)
Franks Nursery - peat ($3 for a 2 cu ft compressed)
Walmart - girls pantyhose knee high 4 pack ($1)

So for $16.33, I've got enough stuff for filters to FAR outlast that amount of cartridges from Marineland and it will allow for more options and probably significantly better filtration. This would work for any of the eclipse systems or hoods, but don't know the size differences. I think the Eclipse 1 hood has the same filter as the system 12, so it should be an easy drop in.

Ok so here is my update. Scratch the $2.99 filter pad. It catches a lot of muck (surprising how NASTY it got after just a day of being in there, but it's too flimsy. Once it gets water logged, it compacts down and slows the water flow causing the filter section to almost overflow in the tank (and consequently all over the back of the aquarium. It might still be useful for an occasional polishing of the weater to get some gunk out, but not everyday use.

So, I got some of the Aquaclear 70 pads (former AC 300). It's a big foam block that is a lot sturdier so it won't condense down. And it's designed for a higher flow filter, so it should be ok. $5-6 for a 3 pack. I cut one of the pads in half. Half is placed right before the biowheel, half a few inches in front of the one. Due to the sturdier nature of these, you don't need the craft grids anymore (although, still useful for a template), but a piece of cardboard would serve just as well at this point.

Still experimenting with the peat, so that hasn't gone in yet. But I did put one panty hose filled with carbon in to take care of a little stink from water lettuce and such. Seems to work just well.

After a day or so, water flow seems to be pretty good. and unlike the Marineland pad, the water gets put through two sets of pads now and all of the water goes through it (not flowing over the edge).

Once I decide this is the final version, I'll post a pic.

just for clarification, you don't have to replace the ac 300 pad, i have used the 300 for yrs (since 92) and currently i have one running on a 55gallon fw shark tank. you don't need to replace the foam blocks, just throughly rinse them every 2wks in freshwater, and try to get all the muk from the block while rinsing, then re-insert. i used to replace them as directed by hagen, but simply rinsing them, keeps the tank just as clean and saves alot of money.

I use the same stock cartridge frame over and over. Cut out the blue polyfiber and use regular filter floss. No carbon or peat. It does get clogged up rather fast. I have to clean it every week. The floss is used in 2 pieces and I replace half every week.
I use a Aquaclear coarse sponge cut to fit on the inlet tube as a prefilter.
This combo works very well on my Eclipse 3 hood on a 20 long tank. Nice clear water.

Back
Top Bottom