epoxy and paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
for my new tank, does anybody know if it's safe to use a flat black paint covered with a clear two part epoxy? i want the walls to be black, but i can't find any black epoxy that is safe for potable water. i was figuring i could paint the inside a flat black then cover it with the safe clear epoxy and get the same effect. :?:

william - it's going to be a plywood tank....i should have specified that earlier, sorry. i thought i read an article about creating a background for a palaudium out of styrofoam, paint and epoxy. it said to put the paint on first, then apply the epoxy over top of that. i wanted to double check and make sure that was a safe way to go about it since i can't find a black epoxy at sherwin-williams (which is really close to my house, that's why i'm using them)

::bump::

i'm going to start on the tank wednesday night, so it might be ready for painting by this weekend. my plan is to paint the inside of the (plywood) tank flat black, then use a clear two-part epoxy over top of the paint. will this work ok, or is there a better way to go about doing it?

Funny this is literaly the project I am working as we speak over the next few weeks.

I am creating a background and side ground out of construction foam(get it at home depot... sort of sprays out anbd then expands to be manipulated) I will be putting a ton of wood into it and growing plants on the wood. What you want to do is get the epoxy and a tint mix. Dont paint and epoxy over or you wont get what you want. chargar.com is where I have ordered my epoxy and tint from.

I will try and post pics over the next few weeks on my project and maybe we can correspond to give each other tips. Mine will be a 90... what about you?

mine will be about 85. 55x18x20, heavily planted. aquatic-eco has a black aquarium epoxy for $50 a gallon. that's a lot more than i need, but the price is right and it's black.

Back
Top Bottom