Euro Bracing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a quick question about euro-style bracing that could possibly save me some $$$. in the next few months, time and weather permitting, i will be constructing a new aquarium (details from garf.org):

Tank Information:
Tank Height = 16" (would go 18", but i would need two sheets of acrylic)
Tank Width = 16"
Tank Length = 55 "
Acrylic Thickness = 3/8"
Approximate Gallons = 61

Cut List:
Bottom = 55 " x 16"
Front = 55 " x 15 5/8"
Back = 55 " x 15 5/8"
2 Sides = 15 5/8 " x 15 1/4"
***Top Front/Back brace = 54 1/4 " x 2"
***Top Sides brace = 15 1/4 " x 2"

is there any specific way these euro braces have to go on? for instance, does the top front and back pieces have to be 55x2 (full length of the tank) and the sides 12x2? would it be ok to make the front and back braces 48x2 and the side braces 16x2? the reason i'm asking is b/c with carefull use of my long-lost high school geometry skills, lots of poorly sketched ideas, i've been able to keep this project to a single sheet of acrylic..maybe. there is no way i'm going to spend the money for a second 4'x8' sheet to accomodate the cutting out of a 1-piece top.
btw, i'll most likely be constructing a canopy instead of trying to figure out how the hell i'm going to be able to support two 24" twin lamp hoods. it'll be cheaper that way too (or at least it should be!) i figure i'll just poly the hell out of the inside of the canopy and put the lamps directly in there. i'm still months away from construction, but i'm a big planner..gotta have everything down on paper first!

oy vey...did i say the canopy was going to be cheaper? :roll: :roll:

it might be. it'll at least look better the way i have it drawn up, although i'll be spending about $200 just on the 2x96watt lighting system :?

i don't know if euro-bracing is the popular term for this reinforcement design, but here's a pic i found...
post-24-1054099778.jpg

if i get this 2x96 kit (which i'm flip-flopping on and may not purchase now since the quadrifolia only needs around 1.5 wpg to be happy), how high should i have this above the water? my plan was for a canopy that is five inches high and will rest ontop of the euro-bracing with an external facing of 1/4" play that will give the illusion that the hood is really six inches high. i think the bulb would be about 3 or 4 inches above the water, but i might have to take some precautions b/c as any large pleco owner knows, they gulp air every once in a while. it's not exactly the most graceful or discrete process either. mine usualy does it along the glass, but i don't want him/her to one day charge to the surface and hit the light. any suggestions? can i cover this opening with a 1/4" piece of acrylic, or will it get messed up by the heat from the lamp?

Back
Top Bottom