experiance with replacing top center support

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I picked up a 55 from a buddy today it is nasty but it doesn't leak. So he broke the center brace out of it by being an idiot. Long story. But anyways the top support is gone. I have about 5 different ideas on how to fix it I've been tossing through my head. Well anyways I'd like to know how you have fixed this problem, problems you ran into, success you have had and failures. My tank is a standard 55gallon 48x12x20" and the support I'd broken off clean from the trim. And no I do not have it. Thank you for all yalls input.

All I did was get some 12x10 glass from home depot, cut it half then siliconed the 2 pieces together, then siliconed the the glass just below the frame on the inside (siliconing glass to glass, not glass to plastic frame) and let it cure for 72 hours and done! Still holding strong 4 months later. Glass size would of course depend on tank depth, and how wide you want it, is say 3 inches minimum width. Clamps help in the processes, some to hold the glass center piece from falling before the silicone cures.

That's what I did, of course there are many other options

About $30 from GlassCages.com for a 55. Mine has a cracked center brace as well, and I'm still undecided if I want to buy a new top, or just rig it up.

Thank you guys for the ideas now one more question is there a way to convert it to rimless like if I did 2 glass supports.

Actually I really like this if I could this cut in one piece how thick and how wide should I get it done. Or would it be better as 2 or 4 pieces so it has some flex. I'd like it to look as clean as possible bit still be strong. I'm thinkin 1/4" thick 2.1/4" wide

Last edited:
Sorry sorry pic didn't post.

107993d1361234316t-these-best-bracing-method-glass-aquarium-2.jpg

Actually I think if I did just corner supports and a 11.5x4x1/2" center support that should be enough support for a 55 to not bust correct? Or no? If possible id rather do that i think it would look cleaner and so I have room to get a nice piece of driftwood in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom