Feasibility of creating a filter/nursery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering about taking my Tetra Second nature 5 HOB filter and turnig half of the double- sided piece into a fry nursery and mini-fuge (not sure about correct terminology) with some anarchis. The filter holds about 1-1.5 gallons of water and so one half would have about .5 gal (center part has about a .5 gal). Is this feasible for guppy fry? The thing is transparent and so I figured I could put some mesh in the part with the impeller to block in off and then take the media out of one side.
Here's a photo from the top of one in use-

I figured the left side would make a good fry box. Constant water changes, and I can easily fit a net in there plus any excess food will be put in the main tank for other fish to eat. A block on the outtake so none escape and I think I'd be good to go. Opinions and advice? I've got a second filter on there so no worries about lowering bacteria surface area.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

It'd work, you may need restrict the level of flow to the side with the fry using foam or floss. It might be easier to build a drop in fry cage than trying to retrofit the filter to keep them contained.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably would be easier, this is probably just going to amuse me over break

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom