filter fry guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spott63

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had problem with fry getting sucked into my filter. Took a plastic crystal light container and perforated it with many 5/8 inch holes. Drilled the top out for a snug fit to my intake tube. For my fluval 304 filter that was a 5/8" hole. Put a 4x12 media bag around container and trimmed it to about 1/2 inch above rim. Folded into container and placed top on. Just slide intake tube thru top and put in tank. No more fry in filter with

Attachments

• fry 1.jpg
    fry 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 203
My own approach works OK too. I cut a hole into the end of a filter sponge and slip it over the end of my filter inlet tube. Similar in concept and it lasts a long time with minimal care.
img_928347_0_2bb1b70f4547a11c9e77100f19e60ad6.jpg

I just stretched pantyhose over my filter intake and rubberbanded it on. As long as you stretch it out right, it won't affect your flow at all, though you do have to watch for excessive stuff getting caught in it.

Pantyhose is good for makeshift breeding/isolation nets, too, with a wire hanger frame and some ingenuity. And cheap! :)

I just stretched pantyhose over my filter intake and rubberbanded it on. As long as you stretch it out right, it won't affect your flow at all, though you do have to watch for excessive stuff getting caught in it.

Pantyhose is good for makeshift breeding/isolation nets, too, with a wire hanger frame and some ingenuity. And cheap! :)

That would work but i'm a guy and don't have pantyhose, and I would seriously wouldn't let my fish see my moms.

Haha :D

I did something like this except i used mesh netting and a rubber band.

Old fish nets that are worn out get cut off of the frame in my fishroom. The material is perfect for wrapping around the filter intake and it is held with a rubber band.

The design that oldman posted has been used for years and not only is it easy to create and effective, it also provides much more surface area for beneficial bacteria to live.

heh, im using the sponge method till my tank is re-done. i dont have fry but i have a fair amount of "junk" snails...the little ones love to try to munch the algae from the filter screen and then get sucked into my over the back filters.

sounds like a brush vacuum trying to suck up a penny...little buggers rattle around in there untill they get munched or chucked into the filter media.

sponge filters work well for the time being,lol.

Back
Top Bottom