First attempt diy need advice: 72 gall aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an aga 72 gall bowfront and I'm convinced, after reading over and over again, the $300-400 they want for the stands is insane, and I could build my own. Doesn't have to be bowfront, just lookin for great support and something that will last. Anyone have ideas? Plans? Advice? Any would help!!

There are other strong woods out there, but for the money and the strength, i'd say that 2x4's are going to be your best freind. Unless you want a stand thats going to look nice or w/e. Then i guess you would have to use nicer wood you can finish.

actually making a bow front isnt that hard if you know how to use a jig saw. For the front take a 2x8 and lay it on top of the tank draw the outline of the curve and cut it out. After that just jig saw it, make a copy for the bottom. Then you can use 1x2" or 1x3 furring strips to outline the front and sides(more plans would be needed for the sides). I have a diagram if you would like I could pm it to you.

Yeah that'd be awesome! I wanna make it look nice if I can but first and foremost I want it to be strong. The diagram would be greatly appreciated

But also for my diy experience a simple rectangle may be my best way to go. I was curious though you can't finish pine 2x4's? I've never done it obviously. They look like crap?

my stand is pine 1x4s in the same design as the one ill give you. Take a look at my profile pics and judge. I dont have the doors on right now though, and I havent stained anything.
2x4 frame with 1x4 shell, it doesnt get any sturdier

my stand is pine 1x4s in the same design as the one ill give you. Take a look at my profile pics and judge. I dont have the doors on right now though, and I havent stained anything.
2x4 frame with 1x4 shell, it doesnt get any sturdier

wow, yours looks very nice... awesome craftsmanship... has to be the best "marine" tank and stand ive ever seen (get it? :))

just the frame
23688-albums639-picture4699.jpg

its really not that hard no measuring for curve, just trace and jig

if you go to a real lumber store you can get better grade pine and it will look nicer. better grades would have less knots and the knots they have would be a lot smaller. less knots would even mean more structurally sound.

just the frame
23688-albums639-picture4699.jpg

its really not that hard no measuring for curve, just trace and jig
dude great diagram! imma try it this week i think. probably wed. i will post the results for sure. BTW i spend some time there at Parris Island myself. Semper Fi!

my advice as a former general contractor would be to cover the back and sides in plywood to add extra rigidity, and maybe some cross members to the sides and back. The cross beams would also provide you with a way to put a shelf in it if you wish.

The front. if you want it covered I would suggest luan (underlay for a floor) it is only like 1/4 think and should be 'bendable" enough to nail/screw on the bowed front.

Or you can leave the front open, and cut a piece of plywood to add a shelf. The shelf and cross beams will provide a measure of extra support.

thats just the frame..the outside should be vertical 1x4s on the sides and the front except where the door will be. The 1x4s will add all the rigidity you need. If you do put a bottom in it make it thick, in case you ever put a sump in. I have mine open with the sump directly on the floor.

thats just the frame..the outside should be vertical 1x4s on the sides and the front except where the door will be. The 1x4s will add all the rigidity you need. If you do put a bottom in it make it thick, in case you ever put a sump in. I have mine open with the sump directly on the floor.
one by fours all the way around the outside of the frame from top to bottom? that seems easy enough...Glued on and nailed right? Like planks around the outside?

What would you guys suggest using for the top? I want something like plywood for added strength but want to be able to finish it really nice. The tank is going to have a layer of foam underneath it but I want the top to look nice... I got the wood for the frame tonight though just ran out of time

I go topless...lol. There are some people on this forum that can give you reasons not to put the foam under the tank. Remember tanks are designed to hold the weight the way they are

I hate to start this again BUT, DONT PUT FOAM UNDER THE TANK. Tanks are made to rest on the frame that goes around them. It can cause them to break.

Back
Top Bottom