fish tank coffee table.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I see them for crazy cash for order. But anyone ever made their own. Any tips?

This is a pretty simplistic one...
Aquarium Coffee Table

I prefer the one in the first comment:
F6BXSX0G7DYYVXV.SMALL.jpg

here are a few pictures of my coffee table aquarium. everything is included filter, lighting, heater. there's only one plug running from the table. i love it! it's 45 gals. very easy to work on because it's only 13" deep but it's about 54" long and 23" wide. because of the length the fish have a great deal of horizontal swimming space. i had a marine biologist at that fish place/ that pet place look it over and she said it really is an ideal environment for fish as long as i don't keep fish that grow tall like angel fish or discus. i have rams and dwarf gouramis, mollys, platys, glo fish, shrimp, and bumble bee cat fish. my tank is heavily planted with low light plants. good luck with your aquarium.(y)

jpchin said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=16294&c=member&imageuser=36993
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=16293&c=member&imageuser=36993
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=16279&c=member&imageuser=36993
here are a few pictures of my coffee table aquarium. everything is included filter, lighting, heater. there's only one plug running from the table. i love it! it's 45 gals. very easy to work on because it's only 13" deep but it's about 54" long and 23" wide. because of the length the fish have a great deal of horizontal swimming space. i had a marine biologist at that fish place/ that pet place look it over and she said it really is an ideal environment for fish as long as i don't keep fish that grow tall like angel fish or discus. i have rams and dwarf gouramis, mollys, platys, glo fish, shrimp, and bumble bee cat fish. my tank is heavily planted with low light plants. good luck with your aquarium.(y)

Wow. Nice man. You make it or buy. I am.in love

no i didn't make it. i bought it from aqua vim. i know you want to do your own but i like my aquarium so much i had to show it to you. also i know jpchin sounds like a guy but it really stands for japanese chin which is the kind of dogs i have. i'm a girl. :)

jpchin said:
no i didn't make it. i bought it from aqua vim. i know you want to do your own but i like my aquarium so much i had to show it to you. also i know jpchin sounds like a guy but it really stands for japanese chin which is the kind of dogs i have. i'm a girl. :)

Rt on. Was it super expensive? It looks awesome.

well i guess that depends on how much money you have. :) it cost about $1,000.00. that included shipping. the showroom closest to us is in north jersey. i live in pa. we thought about picking it up (i think the shipping was about $250.00) but we would've had to rent a truck and pay gas and tolls so it was worth it to just pay for the shipping. a big tractor trailer pulled up to our house. it was crazy! the thing was packaged so well it could have been shipped around the world with no damage i'm sure. you know they have all kinds of different shapes of coffee tables. just google aqua vim and you'll see everything they have. lots of cool stuff. also if you click the photo icon under my name you can see more pics of my aquarium.

This is SUCH a cool idea. I wish I lived in a house where I could do this--living with two male renters makes for some wild nights and I'm pretty sure my fishies wouldn't appreciate ending up vibrating all night long. ^_^;;

rlboyce said:
This is SUCH a cool idea. I wish I lived in a house where I could do this--living with two male renters makes for some wild nights and I'm pretty sure my fishies wouldn't appreciate ending up vibrating all night long. ^_^;;

Ya. All the DIY coffee tables are tempting. But I am one of three recently college graduate dudes living in my apt. We now have such decor as a large tv, box and a beer pong table. And my tanks. And trays about it... I am wryd to put a tank on ground... One day, when I grow up, I'll do it...

I'm still mid-setup on one tank so this is just a 'someday' sort of idea, but I've come across a few FW stingrays in my fish store lurking and they are just so cool. I did a little research on them and found that they really need a lot of floor space (makes sense). Maybe sometime down the line I'll think about making a DIY coffeetable or somesuch with an appropriate footprint for one or two of them. Seems like a good application, especially since looking down at them from the top is a good way to observe them.

I'm still mid-setup on one tank so this is just a 'someday' sort of idea, but I've come across a few FW stingrays in my fish store lurking and they are just so cool. I did a little research on them and found that they really need a lot of floor space (makes sense). Maybe sometime down the line I'll think about making a DIY coffeetable or somesuch with an appropriate footprint for one or two of them. Seems like a good application, especially since looking down at them from the top is a good way to observe them.

yeah my husband and i love to watch them when we're sitting on the sofa. the viewing angle is best in a sitting position so i would say that might be one disadvantage to the coffee table concept although when we have friends over we all sit in the family room and watch the fish. i think the real advantage is the length of swimming area. my fish never fight or get aggressive because they have so much horozontal swimming area. :)

riboyce it might just be the way i read that, but it sounded like u partake in threesomes with the 2 guys on the coffee table. no offense or anything

DukeNukem713 said:
riboyce it might just be the way i read that, but it sounded like u partake in threesomes with the 2 guys on the coffee table. no offense or anything

That made me laugh so much lol

xxStLxx said:
Has anyone ever tried to make a reef fish tank or saltwater coffee table?

Not to my knowledge. The biggest issue would again be equipment hiding.

If you are handy you can make a chamber in the middle of the tank like what is on a biocube type tank for a filter, it would also hold the heater and maybe some type of skimmer. The lights could be led with a little engineering you could have it go all the way around the outside and be tipped int towards the inside of the tank. A 40 gallon breeder would be about the right size. In the base you would have a power stripe like this American DJ - AC Power Center - PC-100A All the cords could be hidden with a little work. Cleaning changing the water it would probably be best using a cheap power head to pump the water out of the tank. Yes I have have thought this through. If I could just convince my son to help with the thing. You would want to be able to get a great view from the top down so things like duncan, and frogspawn would probably look better than sps.

o_O;; Er...definitely not. Especially considering my roommates are both gay. ;) I just meant that since my living room is connected to my dining room there is a ton of foot traffic and such.

But no worries...I laughed reading this. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom