Fixing center brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skald89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The top center brace on my fish tank has been broken for a year or longer. The front glass has bowed out a bit. I would ilke to try to fix it this year.

How would you fix it? whats the simplest and cheapest way to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_064538577.jpg
    IMG_20190912_064538577.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190912_064546380.jpg
    IMG_20190912_064546380.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20190912_064554123.jpg
    IMG_20190912_064554123.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20190912_064612673.jpg
    IMG_20190912_064612673.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 102
Unfortunately I think you'll have to get a whole new brace for the tank. I can't think of any ideas right now of how to fix that without replacing it.

Unfortunately I think you'll have to get a whole new brace for the tank. I can't think of any ideas right now of how to fix that without replacing it.

Some people have suggested lots of epoxy and a clamp to glue it back

How would I get and replace it with a new brace?

Looks like you'd have to pull a whole side of a tank back as it's bowed then epoxy and clamp.

I've never had to replace the brace of a tank before so I'm not sure where you'd find one. A Google search might give you some ideas. I know people have replaced the bracing before. Especially on homemade builds.

If you know the maker of the tank you can get the whole top trim . Search the internet . I wouldn't try replacing it without emptying it first .

Some people have suggested lots of epoxy and a clamp to glue it back

How would I get and replace it with a new brace?
Hello, I repaired mine w/a piece of 1/4"vinyl trim 2"w x 6" L & gorilla super glue. 1+yrs & still holding. Hope this helps you!!!!!20190912_222822.jpg20190912_222922.jpg

Looks like you'd have to pull a whole side of a tank back as it's bowed then epoxy and clamp.

I've never had to replace the brace of a tank before so I'm not sure where you'd find one. A Google search might give you some ideas. I know people have replaced the bracing before. Especially on homemade builds.

If you know the maker of the tank you can get the whole top trim . Search the internet . I wouldn't try replacing it without emptying it first .

I have tried replacing the whole top trim. I couldn't do it and gave up on that. I found a tank on the curb. Brought it home and tried taking the rim off. I ended up breaking it and don't even want to try doing that. I have no experience in it to do it with confidence of not making it worse.

What you can also do thats easy, cheap, and safe is go buy some 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic have it cut to the length between the inside glass (Lowes and Homedepot can do this and have the material). Then silicon it into place. Silicon as you may have noticed by trying to remove the frame is extremely strong when dry. Being a 55gal this is plenty of strength and support.

You could also eurobrace it with acrylic.

What you can also do thats easy, cheap, and safe is go buy some 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic have it cut to the length between the inside glass (Lowes and Homedepot can do this and have the material). Then silicon it into place. Silicon as you may have noticed by trying to remove the frame is extremely strong when dry. Being a 55gal this is plenty of strength and support.

You could also eurobrace it with acrylic.

I found glass from a bookshelf door. Do you think they would cut it to size for me? Im nervous about doing it myself. Thats why im leaning towards gluing the existing brace back

They dont cut glass but you might be able to find a local glass shop that can for a small fee. Cutting glass isnt very hard to do yourself tho.

If it is a newer bookcase door it is probably tempered glass so you can't cut it anyway .

I tried fixing it and failed. I used jb weld 50112.

This is what I did. The brace had a piece that was cracked. (red line in picture. the red circle is a pressure point where the broken piece and frame joined). I broke it off and started with epoxy to bond it to the glass and plastic rim. I spent 30 minutes of pressing and using a clamp to get it to stay. Finally it held without me holding it. I let this part cure for 30 hours before starting the next part. I put the epoxy on almost every surface. Under the plastic piece. On top of it to cover the seam/crack. Underneath it where it meets the glass.

Saturday night I used a bar clamp to bring the glass to its original place. Again I put the epoxy on every surface and cracked part to connect the brace to the frame. I let it cure for a couple of hours. As I took of the clamp the brace and piece I fixed Friday started to come apart. I closed the clamp back and started putting epoxy everywhere again. Let it cure overnight. Same thing happened in the morning. Taking off the epoxy was easy. It peeled right off.

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_092218587.jpg
    IMG_20190922_092218587.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190922_224301714.jpg
    IMG_20190922_224301714.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 84
Its a 55 gallon display tank.

I think if I would cut a piece of glass to put under the brace and either bond it withe silicone or epoxy it would help reduce the pressure on the original brace. Then even a weak bond would keep the center brace in place and make it look presentable.

My question is if I cut glass with a glass cutter or the twine and fire method would it create a clean break that doesn't need sanding?

I don't know about the fire and twine method , but with a glass cutter the answer is no it will have to be sanded,ground to smooth the edge .

I don't know about the fire and twine method , but with a glass cutter the answer is no it will have to be sanded,ground to smooth the edge .

You wrap the glass with twine soaked in alcohol. After letting it burn out you shock it with cold water to break along the heated stress point.

Thanks!

Im going to try one more time to fix it. If it doesn't work i will keep a better watch out for the $1 dollar or 50% off sales

With cutting glass you will need to sand it no matter what. Its not that hard to do however.

Its still very easy to brace the center with acrylic and silicon, it seems you are just making this harder on yourself.

Back
Top Bottom