Fixuating my hood predicament (sp is wrong, but bearfan....)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am slowly turning my 7 gallon bowfront tank into a good reef. Right now it is being drilled (i know it is taking a year and a half). I wanted to do a single 32 watt half actinic and half daylight bulb, but I dont think I can keep what I want and know I will eventually go bigger. So here is what I found.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Hoods.html

It is a double 32 watt fixture with a fan and everything, it should fit real good on the non-bow part. The thing is, I dont want to have to take a hacksaw to my hood and make a nice little square so this stays secure. So I had a great idea, make a pulley system so I could raise and lower the lights down over the tank!!! I will actually cut the existing plasic hood so I can keep the bow part and dispose of the rest. I have attached pics of what I am looking to do. There will be rings on the end of the cable that is not attached to the hood that will stop it from dropping from the pulleys, and also hook to the two hooks. Please tell me what all you guys think.

Well, dont want to get you guys confused, so... The tank will be where those water jugs are (they are filled with R/O water, in case you were wondering) This should clear any cunfusion right up.

That was what I was thinking. You can get a ballast at Lowes for $25 that will run 2x32w PC's. I would look into the DIY aspect of this before I bought anything. I don't see why your pulley idea won't work though.
Logan J

As far as the pully system goes you may want to change that slightly. Hopefully you will get the idea from the pic below. In its current form it will be harder to pull it up because you have to pull the robes/cable at the same speed.

Hollar if you have questions.

i like that idea mulron, but it is more money. i did not think of using a cleat as my tie off

Back
Top Bottom