Flourescent bulbs w/ incandescent socket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to put together a hood for a 30 gal long tank. I was going to use NO bulbs, but while I was at the hardware store I saw what were basically flourescent bulbs that screwed into a normal incandescent lamp socket, 15 watts each. So 5 bulbs and the sockets for each cost $30, about half what it would cost for NO with fixtures alone. I know that the bulb replacement cost will be more (about $3/bulb) but the bulbs are supposed to last 2yrs. Am I missing anything?

-J

You are speaking of PC (Compact fluorescent) bulbs. Although the ones you are talking about don't have much as far as intensity goes. IMO, they would be fine for FW though. What kinds of application are you wanting to use them for.?

If you go to wal-mart, they have 6500k bright white Power Compact screw socket bulbs.

5 dollars a piece.

They provide the light required for plantgrowth and are perfect for salt and freshwater aquariums.

If you take a look in the DIY section, I built a hood for my 10gal with these types of light wired it.

You'd need sockets that don't have a on/off switch on them, and the onlyhh ones I've found that don't have that are weatherproof sockets.

Weatherproof sockets are a good thing to use, anyways, since they're weather proof! :p and their going to be in a moist enviroment.

while I was at the hardware store I saw what were basically flourescent bulbs that screwed into a normal incandescent lamp socket, 15 watts each.

You may find that those types of bulbs are an ugly yellow when used in an aquarium. However, I did find a 6500K (color temperature) compact fluorescent bulb mentioned by William in Home Depot, and it worked rather well for my tank.

Just be weary of Home Depot Bulbs, I bought a planted aquarium NO tube bulb by Phillips from Home Depot, and the light it puts out is worse then yellow.

IT PUTS OUT PINK LIGHT!! 8O

totally unacceptable for an aquarium, or any type of thing really.

Back
Top Bottom