fresh water sump? 5 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshcanfield

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so i have read several how to's and watched a couple videos on sump pumps for both saltwater and freshwater tanks. I like the idea of not having all the room in your tank taken up by equipment.

I have a 5 gallon tank and a little 2.5 gal tank. I am using the 5 gallon for my tiger barbs and algae eater. I built a canister filter out of a jiff peanut butter jar and it takes up a lot of room in the tank. I tried to make a smaller one but it didn't work out too well. I have found a piece of drift wood that is to my exact liking and with the canister and the drift wood and my plants my tank is getting a little cramped.

can i make a sump pump with the 2.5 gal to nix my canister and free up some space for my tiger barbs? it should proportionally work, but has any body done something so small?

Tiger barbs in a 5 gallon? Better get a bigger tank, unless this is a fry tank. But you can sump anything even a picklejar. I think youtube has a video of a 5 gallon nano reef with a sump, i think it was a 10 gallon

ok thanks... ya i prob will move the barbs to a 20 gal and use the 5 for some little tetras or something. i just didnt want to make my 5 gal in to a sump for the 20 in case I messed up the design. this will be my first dyi sump and if it did go wrong i didn't want to have an unusable 5 gal and have a 20 and a 2.5 gal that works.:thanks:

I have a step by step guide to making one in a magazine imreading I could scan it and email it to you after work tomorrow if you want?

Back
Top Bottom