Gallons per feet...???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobnjen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! We are playing around with the idea of making a diy tank that would be 5x5x5 feet. Does anyone know how to convert this to gallons? Also, what tips or advice could you give on maybe things like types of glasses to use, etc. Thank you and have a good day!

My concern here is that if you lack the technical ability to calculate the volume of a tank, you could be biting off a lot more than you can chew in setting up a tank that large as a DIY project. 935 gallons of water could be a huge destructive force. If this tank isn't being setup in your back yard where when it breaks it will just wash away your grass and not your walls, base boards, carpet, etc., then I would advise against it (I would probably advise against it even then).

I am not knocking the idea of learning about a DIY tank... but maybe consider starting very small as a first attempt.

Just my 2 cents...

Most that do DIY that large either have it custom made out of acrylic or use rebar and concrete to make the tank and just have a viewing window.

Check out monsterfishkeepers.com for some interesting builds. You might get some good ideas.

Flake, thanks for that link... guess there's no chance of getting those several hours of my life back? Cool site, for sure.

My concern here is that if you lack the technical ability to calculate the volume of a tank, you could be biting off a lot more than you can chew in setting up a tank that large as a DIY project. 935 gallons of water could be a huge destructive force. If this tank isn't being setup in your back yard where when it breaks it will just wash away your grass and not your walls, base boards, carpet, etc., then I would advise against it (I would probably advise against it even then).

I am not knocking the idea of learning about a DIY tank... but maybe consider starting very small as a first attempt.

Just my 2 cents...

def not saying that you should just drop the idea of a 5x5x5 DIY tank, but you DEF DEF DEF need to sit down and think this completely thru...this is a HUGE diy project and shouldnt simply be jumped into...unless youre willing to commit thousands upon thousands of dollars. The one thing that i thought of was even if you were to build this tank, its 5 feet tall!! you'd have to have some insanely overpowering lights in order to support decent coral in this tank....at 5 feet deep. Ive seen people on this site struggle to provide lighting to a 3 foot tall tank.. i cant imagine what a 5 footer would take...again, not trying to completely stop you in your attempts, just shedding some light on the sheer depth of this diy build if you decide to partake in it.

60x60x60/231 = 935 US gallons.

Which will weigh roughly 7797 lbs.

i hope you are building this thing on a floor that can handle it. I have seen many tanks on the internet that are made from plywood etc that are over the 500 gallon mark. Usually anything bigger is made from concrete.

there is a site that is a forum for people that like to have very large tanks: Monster Fish Keepers

Biggest thing to remember about building a DIY tank is to research research research.

Back
Top Bottom