GE Silicone 1 Window and Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua crew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this the correct silicone for my tank? Definitely want to double check before I use it with my homemade PVC caves. Thanks.
Crew.

Attachments

• image-3079879747.jpg
    image-3079879747.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 106
Sorry but you got the right stuff, just the wrong color. It says "white" at the top, you want "clear". Don't worry, I made that same mistake about 4 weeks ago.

Edit: didn't read the full post before I posted. Sorry, I'm not sure. I thought you were resealing. I'm not sure if you can use white in the tank, I'm guessing you can. But it'd be best to wait for someone with more info.

I'm trying to glue sand to my PVC piping. So thats why I got it, if there's a better way than this, someone please tell me, lol.

I'm trying to glue sand to my PVC piping. So thats why I got it, if there's a better way than this, someone please tell me, lol.

I'm not sure, you are just going to coat the whole pipe in silicon then just roll it in sand? I don't see why that wouldn't work..

Yep. That's the plan. I'm a stickler for confirmation. Replacing the silicone today so I can do it.

Is this the correct silicone for my tank? Definitely want to double check before I use it with my homemade PVC caves. Thanks.
Crew.

I can't quite see all the details in your pic. GE sillicone 1 is what you're looking for. No mildew or mold resistant chemicals. That will kill your fish. It's the bathroom/mirror junk and the GE II you don't want.

Also, color has absolutely no affect on your tank. White, clear, or black will work just fine. Color pigments in silicone don't affect fish. Most glass tanks are made from clear or black etc...

I can't quite see all the details in your pic. GE sillicone 1 is what you're looking for. No mildew or mold resistant chemicals. That will kill your fish. It's the bathroom/mirror junk and the GE II you don't want.

Also, color has absolutely no affect on your tank. White, clear, or black will work just fine. Color pigments in silicone don't affect fish. Most glass tanks are made from clear or black etc...

Mine is GE Silicone 1. Window/door/attic/basement. I got it off of Uarujoeys YouTube Channel. Doesn't say anything about mildew resistance on it.
I just wanted clear so I wouldn't see so much of it. But I suppose if I'm covering it in sand it won't make much difference.
Thank you for your input.

Yes I actually noticed that. Again, I appreciate the confirmation. I actually used my white silicone today- and the entire back plastic cover came off. So that tube is gone, needless to say. I got my work done at least. Letting it cure as I type this.

It's a pain in the rear end rolling the silcone on sand. At least for me it was. I did one and only one pvc...lol

It's a pain in the rear end rolling the silcone on sand. At least for me it was. I did one and only one pvc...lol

I totally understand. If I was smarter I would have gotten more pvc to utilize the tube of silicone better. But, that's life, now I know what to do next time.

I totally understand. If I was smarter I would have gotten more pvc to utilize the tube of silicone better. But, that's life, now I know what to do next time.

You finished it already? Mind posting a pic to show how it turned out? I might make one of these for my pleco.

You finished it already? Mind posting a pic to show how it turned out? I might make one of these for my pleco.

Yep, well, it's curing right now but it should be done by now. Full 24 hours. I'm at work right now so ill have to post a picture when I get home. Keep in mind it was my first attempt and even I can admit it looks like trash. It does the job though.

Yep, well, it's curing right now but it should be done by now. Full 24 hours. I'm at work right now so ill have to post a picture when I get home. Keep in mind it was my first attempt and even I can admit it looks like trash. It does the job though.

Haha, no judgement here. I'm just curious to see how it looks :).

& take your time. Whenever you get the chance. Thanks.

It's been around 40 hours, and it smells a lot like silicone/glue still. I have it in a cooking pot and its submersed in water so I can see how it holds up. But is it still supposed to smell?

It's in the tank now. I rinsed off all excess sand and picked off some of the more flamboyant silicone chunks. The smell went away during the rinse. Fish already interested and exploring :)

Attachments

• image-3606669284.jpg
    image-3606669284.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 65
HELP!! Juast used the wrong GE silicone for sump

I just finished siliconeing my baffles with GE II silicone in my 40 gallon breeder sump. thought I used GE I . Dumb mistake lucky I caught it early. Im going to start over and scrape off all the silicone II ...any thing else need to be done wipe down entire tank with viniger etc Thanks

As long as it says "100% silicone", you're safe. I don't see how any pigmented or colored silicone could be 100%, it may be safem but why take chance.

Seems like coating a pipe with caulking could be a messy chore, be sure and wear gloves, getting silicone off hands is another chore. Have you given thought to using epoxy? There are some that state they are "aquarium safe" though reading ingredients of some non labeled ones shows no diff.
The resins used for fiberglass tanks usually say safe for potable water, you can brush that onto pipes then coat in sand.

Back
Top Bottom