GE silicone I for sump baffles??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this product safe for aquariums? It has some weird wording that I can't tell if it means not to use it in aquariums, or just not under the water...?? It says it is "green" and 100% silicone, and does not have a mold inhibitor (which I think the mold inhibitor can leech stuff)... Any thoughts?

yes you can use it in aquariums under the water.. it just has to say 100% silicone on the bottle and your fine.. i used ge silicone from home depot when i built my sump.. you dont not have to use that aquarium safe silicone if you dont want to ... it just cost more.. The GE brand works perfectly fine. just allow a couple days to cure..

When i built my sump i searched all over the Internet to find out if GE silicone or any silicone that was 100% silicone was ok..And of course it was..

You are right about the mold inhibitor.. It cannot be in there at all...

My tank is now running and has fish in it.. Everything is fine..And i saved a few Bucks.. Just use GE!!

Ohh and here is why it has the weird wording about use in aquarium and below water line

GE 1 had "aquarium safe" but then they starting supplying All Glass with silicone, part of the agreement was that GE would print "not for aquariums" on the label. Also the label as a whole has less info now then before. A lot of times the "aquarium" branded ones simply cost more because they know they can sell it for more to niche market.

image-3819348154.jpg

This is the stuff.. Yea real weird wording says like not for use under the water line or aquariums?

Yup. Same exact tube I used. Your good. That will work just fine. Like I said. Just give it a couple days to totally dry/cure before adding water

image-187603173.jpg

Nice thanks... I have some caulking plastic things
that you can run over over a caulk line to smooth it out, think it would work on silicone?

Ya I know exactly what those plastic things are you are talking about. I think there called caulk buddies or something like that. You can try them. I'm a painter so I'm caulking stuff all the time and you get pretty good at it doing it for years. Lol

But what you can do is wear latex gloves while doing it . Real silicone is messy as hell. It's not like water based latex caulking. I think I used acetone to clean off my hands with a rag

Update? I am doing the same myself, Resealing a 30 gallon and adding baffles. Curious on the outcome before I start.

Well it seals good lol, water tested, baffles don't budge. Can't comment on toxicity though... I'm confident it's ok though, it says 100% silicone and is part of the "green environment" yada yada...

image-3038092333.jpg

I went with the thicker acrylic too btw

Attachments

• image-4022307559.jpg
    image-4022307559.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 154
Looks good, I went with glass for the baffles, found a glass store that cut 1/4" glass for half what the acrylic would cost uncut.

That's good stuff! I think my baffles are about 1/4" thick.. FYI Lowes cuts acrylic for free, so it was only $19 for the baffles, and I bought the tank used for $25...I think glass would have been better but I think I put it together for short money...

Back
Top Bottom