Giant HOB instead of a sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just out of curiosity. Has anyone ever considered building something along the lines of a giant HOB instead of a sump? A pump would pull water out of the tank and it would over flow back into it. I'm thinking of building a model 3' tall, 5" deep and the width of thank itself. Anyone think it'd work? I could probably incorporate a DSB, and a fuge near the surface as well as install a HOB skimmer on such a set up....

Really bad conceptual diagram.

hobsump.png

To be more clear this won't really hang on the back of the tank but instead will rest on a base that's lower than the tank. The spill way will be near the tank. I'm thinking about using acrylic for the build.

Edit: just realized the fuge won't work. Everything will get chopped up by the intake. I'll go with a big skimmer instead in this design with DSB and LRR.

The reason I'm contemplating this instead of a sump is:
1.) I don't feel confident in my drilling capabilities.
2.) I don't really have room for a sump.
3.) We need more experimenters in this hobby

note: I will probably not build this if I can find someone that will lend me a drill press. So that's a 80% chance of this build not happening. Just throwing this out there in case someone has the cajones to try.

yes the fuge wont work to its capacity, like that. creative, no doubt...little unclear but i like the idea, i was looking at the new fluval h.o.b. filters (c series) band was thinking how h.o.b filters need more capability and capacity. i am trying to make a sump, then a fuge, maybe out of an old h.o.b aquaclear...lol

That's basically the same concept as a sump with a HOB overflow box. I think you'd struggle with the 3' depth with only 5" of width. I know I couldn't reach to the bottom very easily.

Back
Top Bottom