Glass Tank frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if you could replace a tank frame on a glass aquarium? ( i know you can replace it) But how do you. I was thinking about replacing it on my 75g. I got it cheap but it has a crack in the frame. My question is how you do it and can you do it when it is full? Maybe lower the water tell about 30 to 50 percent is left and do it maybe? It has 3 cracks, 1 all the way throught on the top long part and 2 small ones on 2 seprate parts of the frame. All on the top.

im pretty sure that the trim, if you are talking about the black or wood colored trim around the edges, is bracing for the tank as well.. i dont know if replacing it while the tank has water in it would be a good idea... and you couldnt replace the bottom since it is an L shaped piece... or am i totally off the deep end on what youre talking about?

That top trim is a structural piece, so definitely don't try to fix it with a full tank.

It would be best to do it with an empty tank, but you are prob OK with the water level down to less than 10" or so. <The frame is mainly a brace against the tank bowing out. This is a function of the water depth. Shallower tanks less than a foot deep don't need this, so I am guessing that you would be OK with this water depth ... but I have never tried this myself ... I did it with tank empty.>

The actual procedure:
1. remove the old trim - it is siliconed in place. If it is not loose, you will prob have to break it to get some purchase to pry it off. Cut the silicone with a sharp knife at the vertical seams so you don't lift off the vertical seams n the process.
2. remove all old silicone under the trim - new silicone won't stick to old. I find a skew chisel the best tool, but you can use a razor. Again, be careful not to damage the vertical seams, or you will have to repair those.
3. Clean the glass with vinegar, let dry
4. Silicone the new frame in place, wait till it is cured - 24-48 hrs before refilling tank.

are the cracks really affecting it, or is it just for looks? if it is just for looks, I would get some shelf paper and cover it up.

are the cracks really affecting it, or is it just for looks? if it is just for looks, I would get some shelf paper and cover it up.

Good idea. I do not think it will affect the strucual integrity at all. I am gonna put the cracks in the back.

I was wondering if you could replace a tank frame on a glass aquarium? ( i know you can replace it) But how do you. I was thinking about replacing it on my 75g. I got it cheap but it has a crack in the frame. My question is how you do it and can you do it when it is full? Maybe lower the water tell about 30 to 50 percent is left and do it maybe? It has 3 cracks, 1 all the way throught on the top long part and 2 small ones on 2 seprate parts of the frame. All on the top.

If you ever try to remove the frame with the tank full, what I would do is to use several "ratchet tie down straps" around the tank, depending on the high of the tank and the size of the straps, I would use 3 to be sure. Also, use something between the glass and the metallic part of the strap, so you don't get to hit the glass when you are making the strap tighter. Let us know what you finally did.

Back
Top Bottom