Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karahrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought a 46 gal bow front off craigslist. The tank and everything look great, except the gravel. Its blue red green and white. Too colorful for my cichlid tank, since I want more colors from the fish not the substrate. Is there any way that I can strip the gravel of its color or some how change the color. I like the natural look of black or white. I would hate to throw away over 30lbs of gravel if I didn't have to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

River sand from my local hardware store is usually cheap. It looks good after rinsing silt out too. I think throwing away clown puke gravel is not wasting it. You could possibly dip it in an aquariumsafe paint to change it to a color you like but it seems like a hassle. pool filter or play sand is supposed to be a cheap alternative too.

I'll have to check that out. Either that I was going to try to separate the rocks in color so I could do a more subtle color combo with like a black but that's so much work ! Lol I'll check out my hardware store for sure thank you!

I would toss the gravel and do sand - your fish will be much happier, as will you be.

I'll have to check that out. Either that I was going to try to separate the rocks in color so I could do a more subtle color combo with like a black but that's so much work ! Lol I'll check out my hardware store for sure thank you!

I've done that with dark bluey-green gravel where I have mixed a small bag of black through and thought it looked better. Done the same with natural coloured gravel. It was hardware store type stuff but fairly smooth and fine grained.

Back
Top Bottom