Grow Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after a trip around Menards the other day, I noticed 60W Grow Lights for Greenhouses that are flood lights. I was wondering if there was a way I could use these for my Paludarium. Anyone have any experience with these? Also, do they just take a standard fixture?

I've used them, to try to keep a yucca alive in my basement apartment. They pointed right at my desk, and I couldn't turn them on when I was working because the whole room would get so damn hot. Probably wouldn't be the best way to go.

Never seen a 60W type but my lfs hang 1 (spotlight type) from the the ceiling's fan hook above a square 200 gal SW tank. Pretty cool as the light is ~2.5 ft from water yet the tank is very bright. 8)

I use one of these in my fuge. Not sure of the wattage but it is a flood light and I use a cheap clamp on light fixture as well. Everything is growing great.

How much heat is given off? I know I said Paludarium in my first post, but meant fuge. I was having Paludarium issues and had it on the brain. Poor frogs would be extra chrispy with that kind of heat.

I am actually using a 75 watt grow bulb and the cheap clamp on lighting fixture. Probably $10 or so at HD. It is clamped on the 25 gal rubbermaid container that has about 15-18 gal of water that is my fuge. No heat problems what so ever. My sump and fuge are in a room behind the main tank though.

Works great.

i have a frind that has used a 40w 4000k mh that he got from lowes. he uses it on his fuge and the macro algea is going crazy. the best part is that it was only $40!!

hth

mark

ohio reefer said:
i have a frind that has used a 40w 4000k mh that he got from lowes. he uses it on his fuge and the macro algea is going crazy. the best part is that it was only $40!!

hth

mark

I only worry about the heat from that type of fixture.

Back
Top Bottom