Hand-tighten bulkheads only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airgoose2222

Aquarium Advice Freak
Never had a drilled tank before and getting ready to attach the bulkheads. Do I just hand-tighten, or should I use silicon or anything as well to seal it?

i personally wouldnt use silicone on bulkheads. sure it seals great and usually holds tight for a good while, but it can cause a huge pain if you ever need to remove those bulkheads for whatever reason. the bulkheads should of come with a rubber gasket that would go on the wet side to help seal it. i apply a thin layer of vasoline to the gasket before tightening. also you can use a wrench to tighten the bulkheads, just take extra care not to overtighten them.
jspeak- not trying to say that silicone is wrong in this instance, just think it causes a mess. IMO

i personally wouldnt use silicone on bulkheads. sure it seals great and usually holds tight for a good while, but it can cause a huge pain if you ever need to remove those bulkheads for whatever reason. the bulkheads should of come with a rubber gasket that would go on the wet side to help seal it. i apply a thin layer of vasoline to the gasket before tightening. also you can use a wrench to tighten the bulkheads, just take extra care not to overtighten them.
jspeak- not trying to say that silicone is wrong in this instance, just think it causes a mess. IMO

I've not yet made a reef tank, I've made plenty of water systems in a house, silicone was used in all cases. WC overflow, loft storage tank, plug holes, central heating, bath surrounds, sinks etc. Anywhere that needs to be watertight. I just applied the same principle. Fibre washers often fail at great cost to the home owner.

P.s. I'm a belt and braces kind of guy:ROFLMAO:

I would fit a straight connector outside the box with compression fittings, these can have a stop end installed to close off pipe as required.
This would also allow it to be de-mountable.

That's my reason. I mean no offence.

Thank you for the advice. I will have to take it apart eventually, so I'll try no silicone first. If it leaks, silicone it is.

Well hand tightening isn't working so far. Leaking like a sieve out of both holes. Letting the rest of the water leak out then trying again. Hope they were just crooked. I'll try again, then get some silicone if it won't hold.

It is. I don't think I tightened it enough so going to let it dry a bit and try again. Thanks for the heads up.

Keep at it, you'll get it. I just had to remove the entire plumbing in one of my overflows due to two chromis that found there way in there. lol It leaked and leaked, actually had to try again the next day but we got it tight enough. As tight as you can get it by hand and then like said above maybe another half or quarter turn.
Good luck!

Thank you for that!! Well I finally got the bulkhead off. It wouldn't unscrew even with a pipe wrench. Didn't know my own strength... Haha. I wound up cutting the darn thing off, which was miserable considering the right space of a stand and working in a corner. But it's done. Time to clean up and get a new bulkhead. And some silicone lubricant. Thanks again for that info.

image-2349272125.jpg

image-194959223.jpg

No thanks; one was bad enough. Curious how you did it. I used a Dremel (not recommended) and was able to get section off so I could get the rest off. Melting plastic isn't the best option with the Dremel I wouldn't think, but nothing else I tried was working. That's why I'm asking in case it occurs again.

It won't occur again if you use the lubricant.
LOL too true.
in my case, i used a mini hacksaw. fit in there just enough to make the cuts. i will be the first to say though that i busted my knuckles and cursed the tank several times.

I did some cursing too, but no bloody knuckles. Just melted plastic fumes, which will be worse long term.. Haha. I bought some silicone lubricant. If this isn't good, let me know. lowe's didn't have any bulkheads, so I'll have to order online anyway.

image-2469961960.jpg

image-576680545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom