Help! 4000 gallon tank leak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)) sorry... but real world has caught up with me. haven't heard much from my friend as well, so no updates yet.

Just because the leak is coming out at any point on the tank does not mean that is where the leak is. You might have to pull out some of the baseboards to see where the leak is starting from. Water runs to the lowest point and then shows itself. The leak could be a few panels back or even on the other side and runs to the lowest point to show itself.

@fastfossil: not really... i only get to see my friend on fridays (no work!) and last i heard, the guys who made the tank were once again attempting to reseal the inside using better silicone. (GE/momentive RTV 108) someone recommended we dry the thing up, remove the old seal and rub the thing down with denatured alcohol to make sure nothing effs up the new silicone layer. *crossing fingers*

@thincat: ugh. that is baaad news. they're absolutely hesitant to smash things up because the room the tank is built in is almost finished and just waiting for furnishing. plus the leak source is doing it's ****edest not to be detected. we did the dye thing, and the laying paper thing, and nothing. it'll sit for a few days, then we'll wake up --boom---leak. they've even considered condensation as it'd been suggested somewhere else, but no dice --save for that one specific area, everything is dry as a bone. dismantling the structure is the last resort.

raiyan, is it possible that you can get in touch with a public aquarium and see what they use to seal their tanks? I think the sealant being used is not able to withstand the pressure of the water itself and thus springs a leak at its weakest spot.

I wouldnt want to dismantle that thing at all.

Well good luck and keep us posted. I really want to see the finish product.

Here I am asking about my betta gallon tank and the next post I read is about a 4000 gallon tank! WOWzers, that tank is HUGE... you guys really must be experts on here :). (makes me feel like a little fish)

Claire Bee

At the end of the day a fish is a fish big or small. And if you think about it we do this hobby for the fish they are the picture so the tank is just a frame holding the picture. But a nice frame does help :)

Agree with thincat,With the cost of that tank can you imagine what else would be in that house just to be destroyed by the tank emptying out?They must remove the panelling to find the location of the leak asap before the damage is done,imagine that amount of water flowing through the house just because of a few panels or even all of them being removed!!

WOW. That is on amazing gold fish bowl!! I have to agree with everyone here though, with 16 tons of water in the tank, I am not sure that standard sealant will be able to withstand that type of pressure. I would check with a public aquarium or maybe a professional custom tank builder to get an experts opinion. I would love to know what ends up inside this tank and what type of mechanics will run it :)

My sentiments actually WOW and Double WOW. I agree with KBCoggin get with a Public Aquarium that houses such size aquariums they should be able to help if not this would be a long shot how about a Zoo that you might have gone to in the past that would have large aquaruims.

Only a suggestion hope everything turns out okay.

Back
Top Bottom