Help! Need an easier way to do WC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon column style tank downstairs and 1 bathroom which is upstairs. I use a 5 gallon bucket to drain an 5, 2 gallon buckets to fill my tank after draining. I also have a sliding glass door approximately 20 feet in front of my tank. What's a cheap easy way to siphon my tank and have the water piped out through the sliding glass door?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya idk how u are surviving doing 5 gallons at a time. I would definitely try to siphon the water outside or maybe to a Sewage drain?

As for filling the tank, go to your local hardware store and buy tubing to fit the length, and also from lfs a cleaning kit that has gravel vac and the attachment to sink.

Sent from my fish tank

Ya idk how u are surviving doing 5 gallons at a time. I would definitely try to siphon the water outside or maybe to a Sewage drain?

As for filling the tank, go to your local hardware store and buy tubing to fit the length, and also from lfs a cleaning kit that has gravel vac and the attachment to sink.

Sent from my fish tank

I really don't want fish water in my kitchen sink. I know I sound wimpy but that's gross. I really just need to divise a way to easily siphon with my vacuum I have because I can deal the filly of the tank with the 2 gallon buckets. How can I make a extension to my vaccum that has enough umph to draw the water outside?

Well if the tank is raised there will be enough umph as long as you start it. How do you refill the water

Sent from my fish tank

The tank is raised and my vaccum starts to siphon by a pumping motion. I fill my tank using 5, 2 gallon buckets with conditioner in the bathtub upstairs. We have tried connecting tubing to fit my vaccum but it won't start siphoning with the type of vaccum I have.

Have you tried a Python? My tank is downstairs and I too have to use an upstairs bathroom to drain/fill my tank. You would have to use your sink rather than your tub, but I've found it's such a relieving alternative to the old gravity-vacuum-and-bucket method. Mine is 50ft long but I think they come in 70 or 75 ft too, if your bathroom is farther from your tank than mine is.

I simply want to run my dirty water directly out of my tank to the outside.

Get a strong aquarium utility pump and some 3/4 inch inner diameter hosing and run it out your door, will work great. I also have a 55 gallon and I do 5 gallon buckets up and down the stars to outside to fill up from the spigot because I have a water softener on my indoor tap water so not good for my planted tanks. I honestly get along just fine doing 30- 50% changes weekly.

Thanks Dallascowboys 16! Can I hook this up to just a simple vacuum.

Thanks Dallascowboys 16! Can I hook this up to just a simple vacuum.

no, you don't use a vacuum with it, you just hold it in the tank to pump water. you can get an iline pump if you would like to incorporate a vacuum into the system.

Ok, I figured. That's exactly what I need. In the meantime I'm getting good exercise. Good thing I have the strength since I've been a veterinarian technician for 13 years!

I use a python vacuum with a 50 ft tubing and I hook it up to my water hose outside to drain water out of my tank, that way I water my grass or my flower beds.

Cheap way would be to buy a hose long enough for the distance and buy 2 fittings. One that connects the hose to the shower or sink faucet to refil the tank and a separate one that connects the hose to the vacuum. Or you could cut the end of the hose that you don't need for connecting to the faucet and use a hose clamp to connect it to the gravel vac. Either way it's cheap and easier. I connect mine to a shower head and get the temp right and then start the flow to the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

only if it's a wet dry vac but to empty that is just as bad as the 5g buckets

Sorry to confuse you I mean an aquarium gravel vacuum. My front door is pretty close to my tank. It just takes forever .

I'd just invest in a longer hose. You might have to prime the hose, if your existing hose has a pump you're starting the siphon with you'd just want to fill the hose from the outside end to the one way valve in the pump (assuming you've got what I think you have). A siphon is a siphon, the hose could be a mile long as long as the far end is below the water level in the tank, just getting it started might be tough. I once siphoned my tanks with a 100 foot hose, that was tough to get started... I swallowed a mouth or two of saltwater accidently that time.

The utility pump and a longer hose mentioned earlier is probably the easiest way

What I have been doing with my Python is I have the water bed adapter in my sewage drain (make sure you have the bottom drain connector open) and I suck on the end that goes to the sink. Doesn't take much to get the water flowing. That way I don't have my mouth on something that had fish water in it.

Once done draining I hook it up to a sink to fill.

I find faster suction with gravity for draining then using the sink plus saves water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom