Help on Fuge flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, the pump that powers my skimmer (it's a massive skimmer, btw) is a mag-drive 9.5 ... so I'm thinking I'll need a Mag-Drive 12 as a return (and consequently the overflow) of the fuge. This is way too much water to be pumping through the fuge. Any ideas on how the heck I can divert some of it past the fuge straight to the return pump? I'm going to like the turnover it will give the main tank, but I don't want to upset anything in the fuge (micro-/macro-algaes, pods, mangroves, whatever) with that much flow. Should I build some walls on the side of the fuge, allowing water to go to the side of it as well as into it, or perhaps work under it, or use an external tank for the fuge, using a small pump to pump water into it, while using the 55 for a sump (though what else I'd put in a 55-gallon sump is beyond me, perhaps Ca reactor, and I'd still love the added volume it'd give me) here's a diagram of the current config, and the possible external fuge solution.

I would use an external tank for the fuge, I don't think your going to get around a mag 12 pulling too much water into your fuge.

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. I think I'll just make the 55 sump for now, and then I'll worry about finding a 29gal fuge at a later date, when I've got things going smoothly. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom