Help tank rebuild nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neodude86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i just bought a 150 gallon tank that i knew had a leak but i wasnt aware that the entire front bottom seam was entirely blown out. I started tear down and that is the only seam i can fit a blade into as the rest of the seams are so tight i couldn't fit even the thinnest blade into. I have considered adhesive removers to try breaking the seal but i am worried that they will either cost money and not work or they may damage silicone that i dont want to remove. Now comes my crazy hillbilly great-grandpas blood into the picture. What if i removed the surface silicone from the tank and siliconed in a piece of glass thats thick enough to cover the seam along the front covering the seam and just reseal the rest of the tank normally? This is a 150 gallon 48 by 24 by i think 38 inches and the glass is half inch thick. I was just wondering if anyone else has any history with these kinds of outlandish repairs and if it was plausible as ive seen people just make patches using a broken piece of acrylic before. Anything helps. Thanks.

My worry with this idea is that without the original seal in place that it would compromise the tank to the point of catastrophic failure by either the bottom glass breaking or the front panel blowing off. In my mind the theory seams sound until i add 3 quarters of a ton of water rock and sand and my anxiety kicks in. I am rethinking everything on this build. I dont know if i want to give up on taking apart the bottom and just do the front since i haven't been able to do anything on the other panels since i am doing this in my house with nowhere else i can work on it rather than risking possibly flooding my house again. I know if i redo the front panel it will work but i am unsure about the bottom seams since they are so tight i cant touch them do they have enough silicone in them to keep them together or will those fail as well considering the front seam was the only bottom seam that had any gap i could get the thinnest blade i could find into.

Back
Top Bottom