Help With Final Plans for Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright I just modified the stand of a 55 gallon tank to accommodate a sump of 12" wide. This really opens my options and I think I'll be going with a 20 long. Now that I have this plan finalized I can figure out exactly what pump and size holes to drill, etc. I'm thinking a Mag 7 since at 4 feet head height it pumps 480 gph. The 55 gallon tank plus 15 gallons of the sump is 70, I figure I can use a ball valve to restrict flow down to ~360 gph. If that would damage the pump I'm thinking about running a Y and sending some water back to the refugium. If I drill the return at 1/2" I should drill the overflow at the same width right? The bottom of my tank is tempered so I'm drilling in the top sides of the back.

Thanks

Also, do I really need to worry about microbubbles? I've been reading mixed results from people using bubble traps and I'm not so sure it's a necessity.

Just throttle the pump down,it actually prolongs the life of the pump.If your putting a skimmer in the sump use baffles,

Throttle the pump down with a ball valve? Or is there a safer way? And no skimmer, this is on a freshwater setup.

Alright here are my final plans, any suggestions or is anything wrong here?

I plan on using 1" PVC for the overflow. I have to use 1/2" flexible tubing for the return because the outlet of the Mag 7 is 1/2". Plus I also have to take a couple of turns so I don't want any hard 90 degree turns to limit my flow. Any ideas for what type of flexible tubing would be best?

I have the display tank at a glass shop getting drilled tomorrow. The guy said he might not have the bit to drill the 1/2" return hole, would I be able to use some kind of adapter and have him drill a 3/4" hole?

Also, it's not in the picture but I'll be putting a ball valve on the return after the pump in case the pump is too strong and the total systems turnover per hour is too large.

Thanks for the help everyone

Attachments

• FinalSump.jpg
    FinalSump.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 139
Could you not bring the return up and through the lid?? Depends on the design, but I know mine has a space for cables which something like that could fit through.

and remember to never submerge the return, because if the pump fails the tank will siphon to the end of the hosing.

You can use PVC on the return too.. They make a fitting with 1/2" threads and a slip for PVC pipe. I have one on my mag9.5 although mine is 3/4" thread with a 3/4" slip for PVC..

Shane.

Thanks guys

I started work on siliconing the baffles today. I cut them slightly narrower than I wanted but I think the silicone should hold up fine. I'll be picking the 55 up tomorrow and do the plumbing over the weekend, should hopefully be holding water by midweek

Back
Top Bottom