Help with Mountain scene?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kl3vr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, new member here!

So I have a spare tank just begging for something epic. its a 70g tall bowfront that I got for a song from a local seller (some elbow grease was required...)

I'm inspired to use the height of the tank (around 24" or 60cm) to my advantage. The idea is to create pillars like from the Zhangjiajie mountain range in China rising from the canopy below, capped with vegetation. I'm also in love with the idea of floating/suspended rocks (yes, avatar)
mountains_012.jpg

china_tianzo_mountains.jpg

18lvtwpwuchzljpg.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But I'm unsure how to make the pillars. I've gone on a couple expeditions to beaches to look for rocks but they are never the right proportions, and a certain level of detail is needed to convince the eye of the scale. I dont know what type of rock to look for either or how to go about hunting a specific rock type.
I came across carving styrofoam - which appears to have the best level of detail and realism - but in the end it's painted styrofoam so I worry about durability - one chip and there's a bright pink spot in your tank!
Carving Foam Rocks
And then there's cement, which would be the most durable but I fear wont achieve the level of detail and realism required.

I'm also thinking about glueing/cementing rocks together to create the pillars and some tactical moss growing to hide the seems. this looks like a promising avenue if I can find a good source of rocks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Interesting idea, I'm following.
I was thinking maybe using some like canyon rock i'm not sure if it's fish safe though, what about this?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421390124.368011.jpg

If you cool get some large seiryu stones it would be cool too.

That's a cool rock - the striations really stand out. Here in the Northwest we have sandstone but it has almost no detail.

It's not mine I was just looking on eBay to see what they had. You could try looking around some more outside, I have a hard time paying for rocks, even though their neat looking.
I think that if your artistic though I would try the custom 3d foam backgrounds like you said, I've seen some really cool ones made before. If you don't like how it turns out they look pretty cheap to make anyway.

I know this is an old thread but I was youtube surfing today and I found this, and then I remembered this thread so I thought I'd leave it here :)

http://youtu.be/-Re6YWaQ190

He's got a couple vids of him building it. I'd love to do something similar someday! Make sure to show it off if you get something set up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That was awesome! !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use PVC, spray foam and then trim/burn to shape. Then coat with concrete paint and seal

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom