Home made canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought a fountain pump on clearance from the hardware store and am making my own canister filter using a gallon Rubbermaid jug. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for non fish store aquarium medium to put in the canister. So far I am going Gravel, sponge, pot scrubbers, pillow stuffing, and coarse sponge. Most of it I know polishes but I was thinking the sponge medium would work well along with the gravel to harbor good bacteria. The only thing I was thinking I'm missing is some type of carbon. Is this a pivotal piece of the equation? Also any thoughts on if it would ok to fully submerge the canister, the pump will be submerged, the canister should be Ok with the water coming out the spout right into the water, right?

I could take pictures in a bit. I'm not much on sketches. They usually look like a 2 year old drew them with a crayon

So, to reiterate, the pump and canister will both be submerged? The pump will push water into the canister near the bottom, it will pass through the media you listed and then exit at the opening at the top?
That sounds fine. If you use gravel, I would place it in a nylon bag/hosiery.
I would not worry about using carbon.

Another quick question.. how packed should the canister be? I have the pump cranked and was expecting it to blow the thing apart and it moving a trickle.its supposed to move 160gph

The maximum flow rate for pumps are measured with at zero head and minimal plumbing. Actual flow rates are usually lower.
160 is not a high flow rate. It might more in the 100-120 GPH range. But it is pushing water through the canister and flow rate might be conducive for settling and trapping debris and increased contact time for bacterial nitrification.

youll know if its packed to tight if you get very little water movement ,so long as you get good water movement you should be ok . Id do a test run out side so if it fails there is no mess inside .

u could use cotton and gravel. That's all they use in the little filters. That way it wouldn't be so packed. Take out some of the Sponge's. I'd leave maybe 1 kinda sponge in it though with the gravel and cotton. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom