Homemade protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 39gal home built tank with a 8 gal sump and very little height to fit in and larger skimmer! I currently have a tunze 9002 and find it will not be adequate once the tank is fully stocked!
I think building my own is a good option, any recommendations!

That's what I was thinking because I do have access to acrylic tube!

Just go look at some production units. I built my own skimmer many years ago and it's still working today as a backup. Getting all the joints tight so the bonding fluid can wick into the seams and make a good bond is important. I would go with a needle wheel pump to produce the bubbles. You could go re-circulating with a bit more trouble.

might as well just spend that extras 100-200 and buy a proper one rather than going through all the trouble of building one and hoping itll work how you want it to

Problem is space under my display tank , I only have 16" in height! I havnt found any skimmers rated for my tank that will fit!

And half the fun is always building for me:)

I built one last year. Total cost was about $40-50 including the pump. I use it on my 160 gallon tank and it works very well. DIY is the way to go... If you research and have a little skill. Mine is similar to this one. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388693029.194519.jpg

When I was a poor college student, I built everything myself. If your good with basic machine tools and have access to the proper materials, it is easy to do. Even building your own lights. And many times the stuff you build is heavier duty than the commercial product is.

Last edited:
Looking at it that way if you can make it go for it. Cant beat 40-50 bucks for a DIY project

My plan will only take up 4x6! Will be finished first model tomorrow! We'll see:)

Good deal with your DIY. The one with the 8x12 is rated for 250g

Based on your height an manufacturing specs looks like your Tunze 9002 would have you covered. If you need more skimmer sell the old (easy with Tunze) add what you would have spent on DIY and apply towards a 9004.

I like DIY all the way as it is fun to do. The problem is depending on one's skill set and how honest they are with the end product performance you can end up with an inferior product for the same price. Often without a few builds and tweaking stuff you end up with a product that doesn't truly function as well as something you could have bought. We end up going "the it works for what I need it to do claim".

Hmmm not sure why I did not look closer at the tunze 9004! Looks like a perfect skimmer with good reviews and would fit Nicky in my sump!

The problem with home-made components is that you can't sell them when you want to upgrade or get out or whatever. Otherwise, they can be great. Store bought units can be sold easily when the time has come.

That's sure the case with resale. But if you can build a $500 skimmer for $100, who cares about resale? I worked with a acrylic manufacturer, there was no rocket science going on, just hippies with power tools.

Back
Top Bottom