Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

House plants for planted tank?

I'm reading up on planted tanks getting to understand them. I thought about some of my house plants that I restart all the time in water. (The vine kind start really easy.) So, I'm curious! I'd love to start up. I was thinking just to get started until I get to know it hands on, and figure out what and how I want it. I know the biggest problem in the future will most likely be my plecos digging them up. But for now I'm up for the challenge. Do you have any suggestions on this idea. Sand or gravel? What is the best fertilizer? Does and don'ts? About Co2. Best brand of Co2? Links to get started? Thanks!

Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
I'm reading up on planted tanks getting to understand them. I thought about some of my house plants that I restart all the time in water. (The vine kind start really easy.) So, I'm curious! I'd love to start up. I was thinking just to get started until I get to know it hands on, and figure out what and how I want it. I know the biggest problem in the future will most likely be my plecos digging them up. But for now I'm up for the challenge. Do you have any suggestions on this idea. Sand or gravel? What is the best fertilizer? Does and don'ts? About Co2. Best brand of Co2? Links to get started? Thanks!
Hello Ang...

Keep things simple to start. Nothing fancy. I started with pea-sized gravel and kept to the easy plants that didn't need to be planted, those that sit on top of the gravel. Any of the Anubias plants, Bananas and Java fern. Just attach the plants to a piece of driftwood or lava rock with some dark, cotton sewing thread. Floating plants like Anacharis, Water sprite and Hornwort will work too. Just drop individual stems into the tank. These plants take little care and will grow in low to moderate light. They don't need added fertilizers and high end lighting.

This is enough to get you started.

B

Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I was thinking. But the only thing is that I have a under gravel filter plate system in my tank. Would it be better to take them out once they start rooting real good? Just wondering on roots getting into the slots of the plates.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Planted Tanks

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. But the only thing is that I have a under gravel filter plate system in my tank. Would it be better to take them out once they start rooting real good? Just wondering on roots getting into the slots of the plates.
Ang...

Under gravel filters are fine, but not for keeping plants. It would be best to remove it and go with pea gravel and a simple dual sponge filter. These are very inexpensive and require no media. Just squeeze out the sponges every week and put them back on the filter. With weekly water changes of at least half the volume of the tank, your plants and fish will do very well.

B
Old 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is a 75 gallon with a marineland c-360 canister filter. Don't think ill need sponge filters. Unless they help the plants or something.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Filtration

Quote:
My tank is a 75 gallon with a marineland c-360 canister filter. Don't think ill need sponge filters. Unless they help the plants or something.
Ang...

As for filtration, you should be good. Sponge filters are just a simpler and less expensive way of filtering and aerating the tank water.

B
Old 10-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, Thank you!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

cant remember who it was they had a aquarium with nothing but house plants , I've been searching the archives just haven't found it yet , if I could only remember who it was would help narrow my search.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a few plants I'm trying out in the tank now. I cleaned it today. gonna do a test here soon. I'm just trying it out for alittle more cover. All I did was cut a few pieces off some and put them between rocks looks alright but gonna need to cut some more off. Just starting slow to see if there's any difference in my water levels. Shouldn't be. But you never know. But at least I'll know what to pull if they end up reading bad.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just keep an eye on ph. I remember there was one tank (had goldfish though) which had a ph crash when plants got really big. Some sort of house plant that was sucking up a lot of nutrients was the thought.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I will. I read that when I was looking up planted tanks. I would love to do a elephant ear plant just while it's little. But there's way to much of a root system on them. I'll stick to planting them outside. They're just a really cool looking plant. One of my favorites.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, plants, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com