How do I make my 10gal rimless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon nano reef. can i just take the black plastic trim on the top off? and make it rimless? My light is above the tanks mounted to the glass and there is no hood. I want it to be open topped...

Thank in advance!!!

Jason.

Depends on how thick the glass is. Some tens are made of glass less than 1/8" thick and others made with 3/16". If the glass is thicker, than you can remove the rime, but, even though a 10 shouldn't need trim for strength, I wouldn't do it with the really thin ones. Actually, I wouldn't buy one of those tanks intentionally.

Most likely yes however it will null and void any warranty you have . If it is an all glass there are a few that have done this . Never remove the trim when the tank has water in it . You can get a calk remover at Lowes that will help as they are calked on , but besure to clean the tank very well . Also do this out doors .
Be advised that the glass will also be RAW meaning it will be razor sharp .
I had to remove the trim from one of ours some years back and it is raw glass . Some glass shops will "finish " it for you or you can use some very abrasive grit sand paper working down to a finer grit to polish it off yourself . This will likely take a day to do by hand , also wear leather gloves to protect hands ..
The glass thickness if I recall correctly is 1/8th on the all glass 10 gallon tanks ... not sure on perfecto brands tho . HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom