How long does silicone sealing takes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many tank leaks have you had?

• Once or twice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than twice. Heck I've become an expert on leaks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im a begginer @ this so please be patient.

About 2 weels ago i bought a 4 gagalloncaquariumYesterday i found out it had some kind of leak. So, after making a mess to save my fish and my starting bacteria, i took it (empty) to my LFS. He sealed it and told me it would be ready to use in 2 more hours.

So 2 hours passed (under the sun) and it still had like huge silicone bumps all over the bottom edge. I couldnt wait more so I popped it and spread the remaining silicone all over the edge...

Now that I have to start waiting again, how much time should i really wait for it to dry and fill it up again :?:

It takes approximately 24 hours for silicone to completely cure. Most recommend not trying to fill the aquarium for 24-48 hours after sealing depending on who you ask. FWIW, you can put your fish and fiolter in a 5g bucket wile it cures ;)

Depends on what kind of sealant he used, most likely all-aquarium silicone which takes a total of 48 hours to totally cure.

Depends on what kind of sealant he used, most likely all-aquarium silicone which takes a total of 48 hours to totally cure.

Thanx a lot for your replies!
:wink:
for what its worth my fish are all doing fine. Ill show you the pics of my acuarium as soon as i finish setting it up.
Thanx again

Back
Top Bottom