How 'tight' should I get glass baffles cut to fit diy sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
15 gallon tank being used as the sump, 24x12,12. The side panels of the tank are 11 7/8 inches, and that is 'glass-on-glass' fit. When I get my glass baffles cut (hopefully tonight), should I go with 11 7/8 inches wide, or back it off a 16th of an inch and get them cut at 11 13/16 inches? I'm concerned that if I get them cut as an exact match (11 7/8) then when I try and put them in I won't be able to. With the lip of the tank, I can't just slide the glass down, I need to angle it it sideways to get it in the body of the tank, and then slide it into position, but it it's an exact match, will I be able to do that without breaking it?

the other problem you will run into is that the silicone sealant at the seams will interfere with a pane of glass that is cut to the exact interior dimension of the tank.

that said... i would probably get the glass cut exact and also remove some of the silicone from the affected areas. then when the baffles are to be installed, i would apply the silicone to the baffle and the tank corner at the same time. as long as the baffle is not cut too large, you shouldnt have a problem with fitting it between the front and back panes of the tank.

but this is all speculation, as i have never built a sump.

~mike

Thanks for the replies. I had the baffles cut at 11 3/4 inches, so that left 1/16 of an inch on each side for 'play'. Was easy to get in place, but next time I might cut it a bit closer. Here's a pic:

sump1.jpg

Haven't put any water in it yet, but not bad for my first try, if I do say so myself! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom