How to build a 55 gallon tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Exact steps, materials, etc. Just got my used 55 gallon with a light, hood, and heater. How do I build a stand?

Dylan5359 said:
Exact steps, materials, etc. Just got my used 55 gallon with a light, hood, and heater. How do I build a stand?

The short answer would be, very strong :eek:).

But to answer your question, there's many options. Do you want an open front, or enclosed like a cupboard? Search here or google aquarium stands, find one that looks right for you. It doesn't need to be sized for your 55, since it's easy enough to recalculate dimensions to fit. IME, having some extra space arond the tank edge for food, or working space is a plus. I built mine with a slide out shelf and a "leg" that supports a 5g bucket filled.

Lkike choosing what fish will go in the tank, make a list of what features appeal to you.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I like that tank stand that person built in the DIY section, I think it was a 38 gallon tank stand. Something like that

Dylan5359 said:
I like that tank stand that person built in the DIY section, I think it was a 38 gallon tank stand. Something like that

Glad you found something that appealed to you. Going to a LFS that sells stands and seeing what they have to get ideas is something to do too. I do and keep notes so when I'm ready to set up my SW tank, I'll have what I want.

DIY is great, I just built a CF fixture and have another project planned.

Have fun with it and remember, you have to support a bit less than 500 lbs! My rule of thumb is, figure the weight needed to support and build for 2.5X that. It may be overkill, but it won't collapse.

Good luck!

A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.

It's not really a fish room nor a display room so I wouldn't want it to look too cheap like that cinderblock idea. (no offense to anyone who uses it)

No, I understand completely. In a room dedicated to aquariums, or in a place visitors wouldn't normally see, that would be fine. I'm in agreement though. In an area commonly seen by family, friends, etc.. a niced finished stand is a must (at least for me).

I'm going to look back. I'm pretty sure somebody posted some good plans for a stand. Maybe it was Meegosh. I'll try to find it for you.

mfdrookie516 said:
A simple 2x4 frame will do, unless you're wanting something fancy. Some people just staple a sheet to a 2x4 frame and call it a day. I wouldn't want that for a living room display, but for a bedroom or a fishroom, it would be cheap, easy, and functional.

I beg to differ, but IMO building something cheap with staples will more than likely give you just one thing, 55 gallons of water, and fish on your carpet. Bad advice, isn't really advice at all, is it?

I beg to differ, but IMO building something cheap with staples will more than likely give you just one thing, 55 gallons of water, and fish on your carpet. Bad advice, isn't really advice at all, is it?

Maybe you should re-read my comment before you jump to conclusions? I said staple a sheet, not staple the frame! I can tell you for certain that 2x4's will easily support a 55g tank.

mfdrookie516 said:
Maybe you should re-read my comment before you jump to conclusions? I said staple a sheet, not staple the frame! I can tell you for certain that 2x4's will easily support a 55g tank.

A design I really like and it looks simple to build but will it hold up a 55 gallon? If you scroll down the DIY page you'll see that 32 gallon tanks tank build. I really like the design, the black color, and everything. Wha materials would I need and how would I go about doing this?

. I have a lot of tools in my dad's tool box. Not so sure about carpentry skills though.

mfdrookie516 said:

Actually I prefer to offer sound advice when dealing with something critical like a stand supporting 500lbs of water. Staples or not, making sure that it'll stay up means not just getting by, which is the way your recomendation reads. I've been to a LFS where they have a sign warning "don't lean" because of the obvious cheap junk they built their stand out of. I design and build things that can be related to this in my business and if you build it cheap, you get what you pay for.

Dylan5359 said:
A design I really like and it looks simple to build but will it hold up a 55 gallon? If you scroll down the DIY page you'll see that 32 gallon tanks tank build. I really like the design, the black color, and everything. Wha materials would I need and how would I go about doing this?

Good call Dylan, this is a great stand design and is could be easliy redesigned to fit a 55g.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/33-gallon-stand-144519.html

Just how would I redesign it is the question... I want it not to just hold it but be able to hold more than the weight of the tank itself to ensure it won't break. What type of wood should I use?

Dylan5359 said:
Just how would I redesign it is the question... I want it not to just hold it but be able to hold more than the weight of the tank itself to ensure it won't break. What type of wood should I use?

It's not that difficult, but to give you specs remotely wouldn't be the way I plan & build. But I'm more than happy to offer suggestions. If you have the DIY skills it's not that hard, if you're uncertain look locally and I'm sure there's someone that can do it for you at a reasonable cost.

I'll read thru his build and see what would be involved. What's your tanks actual OD (outside dimentions)?

Yeah. Might ask my friends dad. He's good with all things handy.

Actually I prefer to offer sound advice when dealing with something critical like a stand supporting 500lbs of water. Staples or not, making sure that it'll stay up means not just getting by, which is the way your recomendation reads. I've been to a LFS where they have a sign warning "don't lean" because of the obvious cheap junk they built their stand out of. I design and build things that can be related to this in my business and if you build it cheap, you get what you pay for.

Good call Dylan, this is a great stand design and is could be easliy redesigned to fit a 55g.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/33-gallon-stand-144519.html

But what mfd was actually saying was that the OP should build a solid frame out of 2x4's, and then staple plywood over the outside to create a more finished look. He wasn't at all talking about building it cheap in any part that matters structurally.

I'm not trying to create conflict here, but I really think there has been a misunderstanding.

Dylan5359 said:
Yeah. Might ask my friends dad. He's good with all things handy.

A knowledgeable helping hand is like gold :).

Make sure to take pictures and it always good to give credit to the original designer too ;).

Back
Top Bottom